or Connect

Posts by captain_video

Yes it has. You just updated it. BTW, links are always helpful to back up any claims you make.
I don't think it's as simple as you make it out to be. I went through two Echoes during the beta trial, neither of which ever worked correctly. The video would freeze and stutter and constantly have network issues. The network tuning utility would always pass when I ran it so it wasn't the network. In fact, the only devices that have ever caused me network problems are WMC media extenders. I sent the first Echo back and they replaced it with one that had the latest...
I think I may have stumbled on the simplest solution to my problems. On one hand I can eliminate the blanking issues by programming the HDMI Detective while inserted between the Sony TV and the Onkyo pre/pro and then move it between the Onkyo and the HTPC, but I lose the ability to bitstream HD audio. On the other hand I can bitstream audio if I program the HDMI Detective while inserted between the HTPC and the Onkyo pre/pro, but the blanking issues return, which is...
An inexpensive WMC remote with IR receiver is all you need and they will cost you a fraction of what a USB-UIRT costs. Look on ebay for a HP WMC remote and IR receiver. The HP receiver is preferred by many. Any Logitech Harmony remote can be programmed as a WMC remote.
I've never tried viewing Media Center in a window as I have it set to view full screen. I'd have to check on the refresh rate as I don't recall ever making any adjustments to it from the default setting. The desktop resolution always sets itself to 1920x1080 automatically. I've never made any adjustments to it as there was never a need to do so. Media Center also uses this setting by default, although there have been times when it gets screwed up and I have to go into...
If the only thing wrong with the laptop is the screen then you can simply replace the screen and have yourself a nice working laptop. They're not all that expensive or difficult to replace. I replaced one on a netbook last year and it was relatively simple. There are lots of youtube videos and tutorials available for replacing a laptop screen. The motherboard in a laptop cannot be installed directly into a PC case. They are not standard boards but rather proprietary...
Getting a new pre/pro isn't an option as I plan on keeping it for quite a while. As for being ancient, it's maybe about 5 or 6 years old. That may make it ancient with regards to rapid changing technology, but not to my budget. Back in the days when I was single I'd have upgraded it without batting an eye. The wife's retired and I'm getting close myself so money is tighter than ever before. It decodes HD audio from Blu-Rays and supports 7.1 audio so it does what I...
I believe the Onkyo is set for Pure Audio or something to that effect. I haven't changed any settings on it since I set it up quite a while back so I'd have to dig out the manual to look it up. In any case, the display only shows the input on startup and then disappears after a few seconds so just the volume control and power button are highlighted by blue LEDs. Nothing comes up on the display when the blanking occurs. It does display DTS-HD or TrueHD when an HD audio...
Well, Plan B was a bust. I tried connecting the output of the HTPC through the HDMI Detective directly to the TV input while feeding the HD audio via HDMI from the motherboard to the Onkyo pre/pro. The video was fine, but I got no sound. As you would suspect, the Onkyo pre/pro did not show up in the sound device listing on the PC so I couldn't select it for bitstreaming. I can only assume that if the PC detects a separate graphics card it overrides the onboard audio...
You should see the version listed when your system boots and it scans the controller for attached drives. It will say something about Marvell at the top of the screen followed by some numbers. The last three numbers shown will either be 0.15 or 0.21, IIRC. Here are a couple of links to instructions on upgrading or downgrading the...