or Connect

Posts by captain_video

Well, Plan B was a bust. I tried connecting the output of the HTPC through the HDMI Detective directly to the TV input while feeding the HD audio via HDMI from the motherboard to the Onkyo pre/pro. The video was fine, but I got no sound. As you would suspect, the Onkyo pre/pro did not show up in the sound device listing on the PC so I couldn't select it for bitstreaming. I can only assume that if the PC detects a separate graphics card it overrides the onboard audio...
You should see the version listed when your system boots and it scans the controller for attached drives. It will say something about Marvell at the top of the screen followed by some numbers. The last three numbers shown will either be 0.15 or 0.21, IIRC. Here are a couple of links to instructions on upgrading or downgrading the...
This is basic HTPC stuff. Everything received OTA is now digital and requires an ATSC tuner to receive it. Virtually every PVR app out there will work with OTA channels. XBMC uses the Windows Media Center services to provide guide data and recording. You need to get live TV working in Windows Media Center in order to use pvr.wmc and server.wmc with XBMC for watching and recording TV channels. Otherwise, you can just use Windows Media Center for these functions.
I use the same cards with the 0.21 firmware. You need to upgrade to 0.21 for drives larger than 2TB if you're still using firmware 0.15. I've got several 3TB drives and a couple of 4TB drives in my array.
Sony KDS-60A2020 60" rear-projection LCoSPR-SC885Original formatJust the devices mentioned.HTPC to HDMI Detective = 6 ftHDMI Detective to Onkyo = 1.5 ftOnkyo to TV = 6 ftYes.Windows Media CenterNot that I'm aware of. Everything in WMC is pretty much set to default/native resolution.They're wtv files. I only watch them in WMC.
I hope their 3TB models are more reliable. I recently purchased a pair of them to use in my unRAID server so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I haven't used any 3.5" Toshiba drives before so this is new territory for me. Thanks for the feedback, Ben. It's always good to hear some real world results, even if it's not uplifting.
I've tried that and it has no effect on the blanking problem. I'm assuming that having the Onkyo pre/pro between the TV and the HTPC blocks the EDID from the TV and prevents the HTPC from seeing it rather than passing it through. The HTPC definitely needs the EDID from the TV to keep it from blanking, but then there's the problem with losing the ability to bitstream HD audio. It's turning into a real Catch22 situation.Looking at the EDID Override thread, it appears that...
OK, I checked my setup last night and I'm still having the same issues as before I installed the HDMI Detective. Apparently the only way I can keep the TV from blanking is to capture the EDID from the display, not the Onkyo pre/pro. Unfortunately, if I do that I lose bitstreaming capability for HD audio. There is one thing I want to try this evening. Since I'm using the output of my Radeon HD7770 for the TV monitor I also have the HDMI output from the motherboard...
My setup is pretty simple: HTPC -> Onkyo pre/pro -> TV. I currently do not have any other devices connected to the pre/pro, but I do use it for occasional setup of another HTPC. The Gefen instructions only show the HDMI Detective connected between a source and a TV with nothing in between, which is strange because you'd think the target market for a device like this would be HTPC oweners that are also likely to have an AV receiver or switcher of some sort in between. I...
Thanks. I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes. I assume that the HTPC should be off and the TV and Onkyo pre/pro should be on when programming the EDID data, correct?