or Connect

Posts by Felgar

Search for Rich Harkness and find his thread on "Polishing Turd"... Everything you want to know about trying to make SD liveable will be in there...
Quote: I can tell you that the Pre/Pro is the center of your 7.1 setup and it will make the most significant improvement. Speakers and amplifiers are also important, but they do no good unless you have a good pre/pro. [/b] I only partially agree with that. The amps are probably more important than the processor in my experience. Also the speakers produce the sound so how could they NOT be the most important component of the system? When I was...
Well there you have it JRNichols, there is no consensus to be reached here. You've heard both sides but you better go look at some setups yourself and draw your own conclusions. I just wanted to make a few final comments and then I'm done... You're right mpeg is inherently compressed. What I was getting at was that mpeg-2 (used in DVD) can support bitrates such that no visible compression artifacts exist. The best free resource I could find is here (link below),...
I still disagree with you. The higher the bitrate the less compression and I'm quite sure that mpeg could actually support an uncompressed data rate. At any rate it could definately get to the point that there's no way you'd see compression artifacts. I don't believe we've seen enough concrete evidence to definatively say that the units are introducing compression artifacts and we've certainly seen no factual information from Panasonic that would indicate one way or...
One thing is if you go that route you're best off feeding the speakers directly from the receiver/amp and not with RCA. With RCA you'll have the audio circuit of the display in the loop and you'll need to have the volume always adjusted right, not to mention possible delay issues, etc. Also the volume inputs are separate for eahc input so that may cause problems. At least if you connect the speakers directly then they really are just speakers connected to the amp.
I dunno... If you look over that thread most report no problems with the PQ at all. And most of them are recording at SP or lower which is not even close to XP. I dunno what Mike's problem is but his experiences do NOT mirror mine or a lot of other people's. You do have a good point about the output paths and it does make sense that the analog signal would be digitized and then passed onto the mpeg decoder for output. Coupled with the fact that digital audio is...
Besides, what would make for a better tuner than one of these? The PQ from my SVHS (composite or svid) is not even close to the HS2, nor is my cable box.
From people who are convincing themselves to the point of seeing things that aren't there? Actually to be honest I haven't read any threads about that in a looong time because I've sort of not kept up after getting the HS2. Got a link to one? My question is how can these artifacts be associated to a supposed mpeg encoding? Comparing to another tuner is invalid, as is comparing to a recorded signal. Maybe it's in the source feed... I better check out one of...
Quote: Originally posted by Clay Schneider Do not most [all?] dvrs [and replays and tivos] display a signal that has been mpeg compressed and then decompressed [even when used in pass-through mode]? I believe this is true of actual PVRs that are integrated into a digital service (i.e. TIVO) as they automatically record a certain amount of buffer at all times. Though, 1) an analog tuner doesn't come into play here because they're usually just...
Duly noted. I didn't realize they made monopoles.