or Connect

Posts by Tinman

You'd THINK that they would do that.I bought a Refurbished 8700UB last year despite all the horror stories. Fully prepared to swap it until I'd get a "good" one.When it arrived and I tested it, I was actually amazed that I got an as close to perfect for LCD unit as you could ask for. Did NOT expect that!So far it's been running fine without a glitch. With any luck it'll last long enough for me to upgrade to a good LED projector once that technology matures a bit. So...
The problem should be at the rightmost lens, it's apparently where the auto iris is sitting. The faceted lens just to the left of the metal shield. There may also be another lens to the right of that just after the bulb. Those 2 lenses usually cause a misalignment of the light beam going through the optics. It looks like you have to unscrew the auto iris to get to them. Then press down firmly on each one to make sure they are fully seated in their slots.It's hard to...
That's exactly what I'm doing. I want to put one in my bedroom, but I'm not buying at $499.
Can you post a few clear pictures of the inside of your projector? I can ID the lens from there specifically.
Yours seems to be an extraordinary case. I'd push for a full refund. Some others have gotten one. It shouldn't be this way, but it is obvious that Epson's refurb "shop" isn't doing their job right.I have worked at a service center for 2 years..... it's NOT pretty. To my horror, I was the most skilled tech in the building. ( I am a certified master tech )The hacks that work in these places are NOT real technicians. Most of the work is/was done on a best guess...
The bands are usually caused by the PLC moving slightly out of position. This movement can be minute, but it causes pink and blue, or yellow and blue bands depending on the type of projector. I have a panasonic that had yellow and blue bands. The shop diagnosis was (of course) new LCD panels. I read up on this and found an obscure post about this. Opened the projector and with my thumb pushed the first (after the lamp) and the PLC glass element firmly back down with...
I know you posted about this on another thread I answered some time ago but...You roll the dice. Remember that people that post on forums usually only take the trouble to post BAD experiences. For every bad post there are likely 100's of trouble free projectors out there.So far, mine is one of them. Got my 8700ub refurb which is basically a slightly upgraded 8500ub for $1450 shipped. Despite the bad posts HERE, I took a chance because other vendors will NOT go out of...
Really? Depends on what the Gamma is set to, etc. I had to properly set up and calibrate my own 8700UB, and man..... I have to honestly admit.... it puts out better shadow detail than My CRT did! Yes, the CRT could do BLACK, but it also needed an external Gamma boost to get ANY low level detail back. THAT really surprised me. But it did take some (a lot of) reading to find the best settings for my sources. The 5010 should be only an incremental upgrade being a bit...
Wow... that's just not acceptable. Give em hell!
Convergence is much harder to fix. It involves aligning the 3 LCD panels respective to each other through the beam combiner block. It was doable with older larger panels, but now they are so small that the TINIEST movement makes a huge visual difference. It's doable, but can take many hours to get perfect. It's also likely that it drifts a little with heat. Remember, the mechanical tolerances are so small that just thermal expansion will move the panels enough to be...