or Connect

Posts by lrdiver

Quote: Originally Posted by midnight77 Does anyone know what the 55 inch has been running for during the past month on AMazon? I ams tarting to wonder if I should order this BEFORE tomorrow because everywhere else I see it for $1700+ and on there it's $1,446. So since the sameclub sale may go off at any time (they have the 5700 model for that same price considering shipping) AMazon may quickly change their price and raise it way up. Speaking of...
I have read that a lot of people have a dominant eye and do not have the best binocular vision. It makes me wonder if some of the comments that you read are due to this. It would seem that the active glasses force one to see both images where as the passive glasses may not. I personally don't see the jagies or softness that are talked about with the LG picture. I was surprised at how good it looks after reading some of these reviews. I was also surprised that some of what...
For me the Sony 3D was very bad. Mostly horrible judder in forground objects. This may have been due to some setting or other. I think the TV looks great up close. Most of issues with the local dimming are related to viewing angle. If you can get your viewing spot set up so you are pretty well centered on the center of the screen it shold be awsome. That's what a big screen should be about. I picked the 55" 5600.
I picked the LG mostly because of the passive 3D and it was also well rated by CU and some others. I thought about the LW5300 bundle but I found a deal on the LW5600 and a low end LG Blue Ray player for less $$. The LW5600 has better contrast ratio spec and I'm not sure why. Both are supposed to have what they call LED plus local dimming. Other than that the 5300 does not have Smart TV but the BR player may have some of that functionality. I don't recall right now.
I would drop one of the network connections. If you have a wired connection use that. I have had issues with Windows trying to do this.
The pdf at lg lists Real Cinema 24P for the 5600 now?
I watch SD quite a bit. However I need to add that it's via my Uverse Set Top Box that is outputting 1080i. It varies from DVD quality down. I don't see anything that I would fault the TV for. It looks as good or better than anything else I watch SD on. Of course I find Uverse much better than my previous TW as far as SD is concerned. I have yet to try OTA SD.
It's really tough to tell too much in the store. For one the store lighting may be brighter than no light at home. For another, the fixed settings seem pretty good but Cinima mode will look very dull by comparison. It takes some time for your mind to adapt. This adds to the difficulty of an instore review. Beyond this I don't think it's very pratical to do much tweaking in the store especially without experience with this specific model. After having gone through this...
I just received my 55LW5600 and I am totally pleased with it. Just my 2 cents worth but Chad B's review is right on. One could be put off by the cloudniess effect of the local LED dimming but my secret is to turn on a small room lamp. This is necessary in Normal Mode anyway since the picture is too bright for me in total darkness. In Cinema mode it is not as necessary and the picture probably looks better in total darkness. The backlight is less of an issue too...
I'm not sure that the next statement is 100% true but to me the best way to think about it is that the TV is basically edge lit. This means that the brightness of the backlight is controlled according to the required brightness of the "adjacent" picture. So for example on a letter box image with a bright area next to the black bar, some lightening of the black bar will be seen. This is true for the SD side panels as well. The most obvious example is with white credits...