or Connect

Posts by Dizzy49

My evaps are on the roof of my second story. The basement rarely received benefit of them. The upstairs could get pretty muggy on some of the hotter days, but I didn't get much humidity in the basement. Thankfully since my server room is in the basement and I'd cry if my stuff blew up.
Hmmmm. The Mr Slim would install nicely between the two rooms outside and would not only keep both rooms comfortable, but I could also get rid of the radiators in both rooms that were proving to be problematic to work around. A little pricey at ~$5k for the solution though... Or, I get a window unit that performs similar function for ~$700 and put it in the office and use the air exchange system. Ok, after reading up a bit, it would be difficult to do that with the...
I bought a ton of bananas from Monoprice as well, and was not really happy with them. They aren't BAD, they just aren't that good either. Honestly, to date it's the ONLY product I've ever purchase from Monoprice that I was not 100% happy with!
ShadyJ suggested that all speakers should be identical if possible, and that a vertical center is prefered over a horizontal.I like your thoughts, and I am curious how important getting COMPLETELY matching speakers (ie 7x RB-81 II) vs getting 3x 81s, 2x 61s, and 2x 51s is.
I'm working on that now. I would like to isolate the room, but cooling it it proving to be a challenge at the moment.
I am trying to work out the details to build a theater in my recently purchased home that was built in the 30s. One of my concerns is keeping it cool. The house has several evaporative coolers to cool it, and most of the time they are pretty good. There were a few 100+ days last year were it was still ~80 in the house though. The house does not have ANY kind of HVAC that I could tap into at all. I have a windows towards the rear of the theater, it's ~19x32 and at...
I've used a shark on hardwood floors in my old house, and I feel in love with it. So I'm with you RTRose!
I would like to isolate, and here are my reasons... 1) I like to watch movies at a volume that fills a room and where I can feel the movie and really experience it 2) The wife and I tend to stay up late watching TV/Movies, and more than once gun shots from CSI or an explosion from a movie have awakened the kids (currently have a 2 channel setup connected to the Denon on the main floor that we watch, I miss surround!) 3) Our kids get up at the buttcrack of dawn, and BLAST...
Hi Shawn, thanks for the reply!Just so I'm clear, what do you mean when you say "to isolate or not"? I want the room to be as soundproof as possible (within reason). I won't pay $3000 for an acoustic door to get 65 STC, when I can get a solid core door, add some MDF and weather stripping and get ~50 STC for ~$250 (an example to demonstrate my point, no idea if those numbers are accurate). The wife has given me FULL REIGN on all aspects of the room (I know it's going to...
Ok, I've done a lot more research and work and here is what I've come up with. 1) The speakers and equipment I'll be putting in: 9x Klipsch RB-81 II 2x SVS PB2000 Optima DTR 70.4 Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5030UB OR Sony VPL-HW30ES 2) The fireplace will be walled up. 3) I'll be closing up the 5' entry and adding a 36" door with additional MDF+Green Glue 4) I'll be framing inside of the existing walls (room within a room I believe) 5) Will lay Platon (or Serenity Mat)...