or Connect

Posts by Jon S

You need to find out if the VTF3 and the VTF1 uses the same speaker model. You cannot assume the drivers have the same electro-mechanical parameters. If you are not sure if the driver for both subs are the same, you should rebuild the cabinet to the original specs.
First of all, you will have to determine if the drivers for the two subs are the same. If not, the sound will be affected. Port size is critical in vented designs. You have to match the port's area as well as length. e.g. if a sub uses a 3" round port, the area is about 7 sq inches (area=pi*r*r; where r=radius, pi=3.1415). That means the slot port must also be 7 sq inches, e.g. 2x3.5" in size. You must make sure the box is braced well or thick in order to reduce...
The HDMI issues usually affect only the video output, not audio....
If the firmware is up to date, it is not the DTS bomb... It is likely your amplifier is having issues...
I doubt if it is the dreaded bomb... The DTS HD Master bomb sounds like a loud gunshot, not static noise... It is extremely loud, maybe 10dB louder than the soundtrack. It is so loud, it can and will blow your tweeters at reference levels. The DTS bomb is also repeatable. If you playback that same segment, it will reoccur at the exact same point. The movies I know that causes the DTS bomb is the Star Wars and the How to Train Your Dragon Blu-Rays... Note, if you...
Unfortunately, the FTC rules were originally made for stereo equipment... xxx watts per channel with 0.0x% distortion from 20 to 20kHz with both channels driven into 8 ohms. This was deemed necessary when early equipment in the '70s were rated with nonsensical values such as IHF or dynamic power with brands like Lafayette making preposterous claims on the power output. It resulted in a big change in ratings. A 180 dynamic watt amp would be rated at only 30 watts...
I built a RSS315HF-4 in a sealed cabinet based on the Zaph Audio subwoofer design... The box was about two cubic feet with a final QTc of 0.622. The amp I used was the DA SPA500. The sub came out great... Here is my Bassbox Pro spec sheet.   here is a link to the build by someone else... another link
With the current state of Onkyo reliability, I would avoid them for now... They have an abysmal failure rate for the past five years. You should go to a review site and see how much the power the AVRs can deliver. The Magnepans are 5-ohm speakers but the impedance is relatively flat so they should not pose much of a problem load wise, but they are really inefficient, 86dB/watt. With a 100-watt amp, you would figure your volume to be about 95dB average with 10-dB...
remove the amp plate, fill the hole with some sot of caulk or filler., or even a wooden matchstick.. replace amp and you should be able to tighten the screw...
Home Depot???