or Connect

Posts by rlb

Unless Samsung has upgraded audio output vs. the F9000 (and the odds are very, very slim), you won't get anything beyond DD 5.1 output from the Samsung to your A/V receiver. Frankly, I would much rather have the optical digital than the HDMI ARC. Too many problems with ARC. Only advantage of HDMI vs optical digital for audio is that HDMI will carry lossless codecs. Of course, with the Samsung output, that advantage disappears because the set won't output lossless. ...
Another option, and I would test this vs the yamaha's, is to just use the 8500's processing. Following was very complementary of the 8500's video processing: http://www.tweaktv.com/in-dspth-hdtv-reviews/preliminary-review-of-samsung-s-new-pn60f8500-plasma.html
The 103D probably works great with many DTV receivers. But, the HR24-500 (I have two of them) outputs RGB; and I've read the 103D has problems (inaccurate colors) with RGB input.
If you go to the Samsung site, you can read the features of each.However off the top of my head, there are many/major differences. The 9000 has pure color, hardware as well as software local dimming, many more local dimming zones, some kind of depth enhancement and probably additional differences.
If it is LCD, it is "fixed pixel". Therefore it can't show anything but 4k. Either it gets 4k via streaming, HDMI, etc., or it must upscale internally to show the video. If you can input cable/satellite signals direct into the Seiki, and it shows the image, it is upscaling to 4k.It definitely is a monitor if you can't show any input but 4k.
True for the 8550; but the 2014 9000 has a one connect box.
Correct me if I'm wrong; but I don't believe anyone said the same bitrate & same codec with streaming 4K is better than 2K. What Netflix is planning to do is several times (about 15mbps) the bitrate and h.265 which is supposedly twice as efficient as h.264. I've read several sources that say it will be approximately equivalent to 30mbps of h.264. Now that's a little less than Blu Ray; but it's a hell of a lot more than current Netflix, or broadcast tv for that...
Should make you feel better about the selection of the F9000 vs Sony 4k in 2013: "The only 2013 4K TV that can handle Netflix's new streams is the Samsung UNF9000 with the SEK-2500V upgrade kit, according to CNET".
I've read that the curved screen helps a little with off angle viewing; but makes reflected lights a little worse (can stretch them).
Like Netflix, DTV signed an agreement with Samsung to provide 4k. Believe I've read where they will have some initial video later this year. Remember, they had a couple 3D channels. I would think they would try to do something like that for 4K. However, I've read, and it makes sense, that it will also require a new satellite receiver (presume with HDMI 2.0).