or Connect

Posts by odyssey

The drop is due to the much lower directionality of the Studiotek and Ultramatte 130 compared to the Firehawk. The lower directionality is a very good thing, especially in a theater with a lot of off axis seating, but sacrifices ANSI CR, especially in more reflective rooms. The perfs decrease ANSI CR because of back reflection, but this is a minor effect with a very flat black finish behind the screen.
Ash,I know that I already told you this in PM, but I want to post it in case others want to comment. Although I strongly prefer the Stewart 1.3 gain materials compared to the Firehawk overall, you will have a large drop in ANSI CR measured from the screen. I would not be surprised if the ANSI CR drops to 300:1. It would be even lower without the curve, probably no more than 250:1.
I have one but I have not used it. They are supposed to be very good, but I looked at the one I have recently and I am concerned about the visual reflection when looking at it. You should contact them for more information about the AR coating.
It's actually Century Optics, acquired by Schneider. This is a product line for the movie and video industries.
I don't have measurements, but I think that it would be about a 10% loss of ANSI CR with a very high quality ND filter. The best solution is to use the excess light output to improve the image. Using a 0.5 gain screen instead of a 1.0 gain can increase the ANSI CR from the screen by 50%.
Just in the hobby.
It takes about four minutes at the lowest level. I looked at the specs again and color is not accurate until you reach about 200,000:1 CR. Luminance is good to 1M:1.I almost bought one of these but I came to my senses in time. I have a Photo Research PR-705, which is good enough for everything I need.
Peter,The current champ is the Minolta CS2000A for about $38K. It's so sensitive that you can easily measure 1 million:1 CR from the screen with accurate color data at that very low level.
I don't know. Also, I am not sure in which format the processing is done. It's probably in RGB, but I am not sure.
It may be useful to know how these projectors are calibrated. The procedure is to measure R, G, B, and W. The chromaticity coordinates (x,y) for these four measurements are entered into the projector. This characterizes the native primaries and native white. After this is done, the applicable standard like Rec 709 is selected or specific coordinates for the required primaries and white are entered. This information is also part of a PCF (projector calibration file)...