or Connect

Posts by nightowl

I rip my movies to m4v format, so I don't see the VIDEO_TS folders, so can't help there. As for removing a source, there's a folder someplace that you can go into and do that (it's a manual process, not automated that I can see). I need to do that for a few of my sources, but haven't yet. Again, not sure about VIDEO_TS, but when I enter Library mode, all of my movie folders condense into a single list, which is very slick.
I've actually been trying to think of how to help out for the last few days, so haven't chimed in on the old thread yet. I'm by no means an expert or even experienced OSXBMC user, but have been playing with it a little bit. Here's a few tips: VIDEOS In the video section, select "Add Source". It will give you a list of drives and sources you can use. Scroll through until you get to either your main movie/video drive or folder. The file system doesn't "look" like OSX,...
Not only did I get that movie cash while at BB, they had the coupons for Wall*E on the counter as well, so I got a free ticket to Hancock and Wall*E. Just about covers the cost of the BR, I think...
While watching (no joke) "The Insider" on KMAX-DT last night, the audio levels were all over the map. The show had one level, the network/included commercials had another, local commercials another, and station ads had yet another. I was constantly having to turn down the volume up and down, and finally just switched stations. This was via a CECB, on a SDTV, no amp, reciever, etc., just straight to a cheap TV. Bob, I know people were complaining about this issue...
I think you will be better served with a Mac Mini hooked up. You will have a lot more versatility, although as gigaguy mentions above, the PQ isn't quite where it should be with rips. I've been using OSXBMC for several months now, and am pretty happy overall with it, it plays all, outputs DD/DTS, and has the ability to use plugins and scripts. It's not exactly plug and play, and there are sometimes weekly updates to the program, which will require you to re-install...
Some type of actual, live coverage would be nice, also. In the internet age, we know the results before the events air on NBC, so there's no surprise, either good or bad.
I'm staying at the Embassy Suites in Valencia (LA County, Magic Mountain), and they have 37" LG LCD's w/locals, HBO, and some basic channels in HD. Nice setup overall.
Not sure what encoding was used, presumably MPEG2. They are identical to VHS tapes in size and thickness, just have a special coating on the tape, and an extra hole or two on the case itself. DVHS was a great stop-gap format, and allowed me to record many programs and movies to tape for watching later, all in HD and DD5.1. I had the Mits, which didn't support D-Theater, but the experience at the time was fantastic. And, yes, there was something to the notion that...
It's pretty easy to do yourself, just get the splitter/combiner set. If you are having someone set up the antenna for you, just have them run the coax run to the same point where your satellite coax runs into the house. Then split back out in the viewing room.
Unfortunately, the trend in the TV business is to offer more channels, with more repeats. I can't see Voom dropping down to 5-6 channels. I can see them selling their channels ala carte or in smaller groups to MSO's, but not dropping down to a smaller number of channels.