or Connect

Posts by Mike Lang

Nothing odd about that at all. The rep system has only been turned on here for a matter of months, not years.   Guys, give them time to fix it. Let's get back to discussing electronics until we've had a chance to look at their fix in the coming days/weeks.
Besides the Stylish option mentioned above, I may have another trick up my sleeve. More info in the coming weeks.
I take partial responsibility here. When the glitch was discovered requiring a recalculation, the original option was to recalculate points moving forward only which would have meant an uneven playing field between members based on their registration date.   I opted for the recalc going back to the beginning so that it was balanced for all members. After all, what's the point of a reputation system that automatically favored a certain group?   I still think we're doing...
 See post 36...just a guess, but I think when they recalculated, they left off the 10 for already established members.
I've asked them to take another look at it, but it could be a while. Be careful not to give reputation points more power or importance than it deserves. Popularity and credibility are two entirely different things and reputation isn't used on AVS often enough to make it a statistically significant tool to determine any particular member's status.
Yes, you can see in the new member welcome thread that they already have 10. I think you should have a few more than 12 though. I'll ask them to have a look.
 Yes, it was corrected going back to the beginning of the rep system implementation.
  Right. The alternative would have been to fix it only moving forward in which case you're left with a bunch of guys with artificially inflated numbers compared to everyone else because they were grandfathered in which makes the overall system less meaningful.
 Maybe I'm just an algorithm too.
Yes, the most important thing for the recalculation was that everyone was even when compared to everyone else.   In other words, the counts before were not correctly proportional compared to everyone else. Now they are even across the board making for an even playing field for everyone.