or Connect

Posts by pio!pio!

the response time thing is a good question5ms is almost double the 2.4ms...if they are the same panel they should have the same response time, right?Now since Vizio's number is almost double..it got me thinking that it may be marketing-speak. LCD computer monitor manufacturers talk about reponse time just like LCD TV manufactures and there is two ways to measure: 1) the old school way (full black to full white)2) grey to grey (from one shade of predetermined shade grey to...
off angle (side to side at least, i haven't tried up and down) is pretty good..i can easily see what's going on the screen from very far off center
good option for people w/o costco!if you do have costco, i'd still recommend going that route over dell since costco will give you an extra year of warranty for free..and if you use the costco amex credit card to buy, you will get another year of warranty on top of that one for free too
the manual sucks thats why :Pwhen you go into the menus on the TV the names of the settings don't match when the manual saysAnyways in the Picture settings, there's an Advanced Options submenu which has things like noise reduction, MPEG noise reduction, local dimming etc etc..In that submenu there is ANOTHER submenu called Smooth Motion or something. Inside there are two settings..1) Smooth motion2) Movie Smoothness (might be named slightly different, going off of memory...
Update for you guys I know you guys are upset that smooth motion and dejudder are combined into one setting.. well going through the menus, they ARE SEPARATE. you can control them independantly
i was watching some dark scenes yesterday when heroes was playing on tv, and was impressed with the black level..no bloom that i discernedwhen you first turn the tv on, you get a vizio logo and there is no local dimming applied at that point..you can clearly see how 'bright' the black is at that point..then when the hdmi signal kicks in, so does local dimming and blacks get BLACK..it's pretty great...I'll still wait for a pro review, as my amateur non review is only...
yeah the manual is not that technically specific.they say it supports AVI filesand it support mpeg4 asp for video (which xvid is)and mp3 for audio (which my video is)but then there is also this clause that says "videos may or may not work even if they say they are supported in the above list"i wish there was something more specific..there has to be some option that the video was encoded with that the tv doesn't support..i want them to specify what it is.....
Another comment to add I put some Xvid encoded avi's onto a usb key and plugged it in and it said it couldn't play them some only the audio would play..others nothing would play. is there a guide for what xvid settings will allow videos to play? also h264 settings? --------------- another thing, does vizio have a section on their website or an ftp site where you can browse firmware? I hope they will add HDMI-CEC support in the future
I've never owned other LED based units or the 550I saw the 550 right next to the 551 @ Costco and the image quality looked the same..although keep in mind I am in Costco warehouse lighting conditions, and I only quickly looked at and didn't really play with any settings.The other comparison is that it uses less electricity! I like how it uses less power, but I fully realize that the amount of power it saves in terms of dollars is not that great. However I appreciate that...
I got the 551 this Saturday, and am enjoying it so far. no pros and cons yet The "soap opera" effect is slightly unnerving, it makes things look like people were filmed moving slowly then sped up...a little unnatural.but maybe I'll get used to it