or Connect

Posts by jdmcdonald

I can! When LOTR came out, and Harry Potter started up at thesame time, I was a big long-time LOTR fan (back to 1960'). Ithought the first two LOTR moves were mostly well done but with seriously botched areas, and the last one just plain seriously botched.So I decided not to do any Harry Potter until the last movie came out.So I watched all the movies, in succession, one every other dayfor 15 days. Once and only once.Then I read all the books. After the first read of all...
Did anybody else notice short audio dropouts last night on WAND during the Super Bowl? It was not a signal level problem since the picture was fine. Doug McDonald
Our cable company uses the 6416. I found a problem since I changed to cable: attaching the cable line causes the analog audio output of my TV to have a bad hum in it. I tried isolating the cable from the outlet using a 560 pF capacitor in both the center leg and shield. This causes the signal level to be 3 dB down at 10 mHz. It seems to work fine to fix the problem. Would this in any way cause problems I don't as yet see because the box needs a DC or low frequency...
I am looking for a new TV. I'd rather have rear projection than LCD. But I'd like true 24 Hz output (no 3:2 etc.). I can find some info on that in various threads. But no "list" of sets that have it. The key fact is that I want it to work on plain cable HD digital sources ... not Blu Ray players that actually output 24 Hz. In other words, autodetection. Do such sets exist? If so, what ones. Remember, the key feature is autodetect from 1080i or 720p (or...
Comcast rents me a DCH6416. I found the indtsllstion manual. Where where are instructions for using the thing. I can get it to do various things, like record and play back. But what do all those buttons on the remote do? Is there a manual that tells me how to actually use it fully? Doug McDonald
I just got Comcast HD cable, since my Dish reception went out when my apartment owner put in new windows (unless I open the window, of course) and I never was able to get the 110 satellite, even with open window. The installation was a comedy, since the lady who took my order was completely clueless. So was tech support when I called to find out how to switch to 720p, though he was close enough that I was able to figure it out without RTFM, which was impossible...
You are not getting WCCU-DT because they are off the air, no signal at all, its been like that for several days.
Big DX event This morning coming back from my walk in the (Meadowbrook) park, at 7 AM, WILL-FM 101.1 was unlistenable ... this at about 1.5 miles from the transmitter, due to interference. True, they are only 300 watts, but 1.5 miles is still 1.5 miles! So at home I looked on my spectrum analyzer and saw the most amazing thing I every saw there: There was a at least a trace of a signal at every channel 14-60, either analog or digital or on most places both...
Not trees ... it was actually dead, no signal whatsoever on my spectrum analyzer. As another poster said, they are back up, but I think from the analyzer that they are at lower than full power, perhaps 1/10 to 1/2. I note that when they were off, on my indoor Yagi here in Champaign, WICS-42 was rock solid, so I still had ABC. Doug McDonald
Has anybody else noticed that WICD-DT seems dead as a doornail? Doug McDonald