or Connect

Posts by wherryj

Avoid "dynamic mode". It looks nice and bright, but the colors are almost always distorted. This is a mode for making the unit stand out in the store. All of the sets are maladjusted, so the one that looks "brighter" and "more vivid" is often the one that consumers think is "better". Get an Audiovideo set up disk. You'll be much happier with the picture. I've found that Sharp tends to suffer from red push, but it is easy to eliminate with a good calibration...
Maybe I am misunderstanding the original question or the answer to it, but I connected my cable STB to my LC65D64U via HDMI and connected the optical out to my Sunfire Ultimate Receiver. I did this because I had run out of optical inputs and needed an optical input for both an HD-DVD player and the Cable STB, but had only one optical input remaining. I am still getting 5.1 audio processing (according to the Sunfire at least). Is it only passing part of the audio...
Yes, but at least their six month rating is...Yuck, even lower. Hehehe. I don't think that I've ever seen a lower lifetime rating on resellerratings, and it's not possible to get a lower 6 month rating. Sounds like a company to avoid like the plague. I'm not speaking of the bubonic variety either, but rather the pneumonic sort.
The Peerless SH-65 adapter plate that I attached to my LC-65D54u to mount it to a floor standing Bell'o PP59 stand (for our Bell'o PR-10 cabinet) used M10 X 15mm long screws. It would appear that it's M10 bolts for this series. (Sorry, not really a wall mount story, just commenting that M10 is also used on the 65d64 series.)
I started with Cambridge Sound Works, and I found that they were very decent speakers for the price. You can get much better, but you will typically have to pay far more to do so, and as stated above you will also have to make certain to audition the speakers in your own room and also make sure to set them up properly to get the most out of them. Sound treatments might also be needed if your room has too many flaws, though many people don't want to go to that...
On top of this, most amp manufacturers rate their product's distortion at a certain frequency and wattage. If you are right at the limit of the amp's rated power, and especially if the company is manipulating numbers to make the amp appear better, you might find your distortion rapidly increasing with any increase in volume. (As some might have said, "allowing you to listen to things louder", but also more as intended.)
Have you considered an accurate bookshelf speaker with a small sub (such as the Sunfire series)? This should be able to meet most of your requirements, and the amount of lost floor space to a single sub should be minimal.
For this kind of price, you might try checking audiogon.com. You'd get your best "value" from used speakers, especially if you don't mind some blemishes (speakers there are often perfect, but blemished speakers will end up not selling at the "going rate" and can be had for the appropriate discount). However, you can't expect too much from $200 speakers. I'd suggest seeing if the budget might allow a little bit more and looking into some nice bookshelves like the B&W...
Yes, the question is whether it sounds different enough to justify the difference in price (or whether any of his speakers justifies the ramp up from the next lowest model to justify the difference in price for YOU). Speakers are pretty subjective and what sounds great to one person is "trash" to the next, or at least not worth 1/10th the price. It would all come down to an audition, and for something in the Alexandria's price range that would probably have to be in home,...
Yes, they are ugly, but you have to hear them before you pass judgement. If you want something more "standard" in appearance, the Watt/Puppy is a pretty decent sounding speaker, but can't quite stand in there with it's more expensive, though more homely, sibling.