or Connect

Posts by rickfaldo

Glen: Thanks so much, it does actually make sense to me, finally. I don't like it, but at least I get it now. When you say watch 4:3 digital signals using analog, what exactly do you mean? I have just about every imaginable cable connected to my STB: Coax set to ant 1, S-video set to Video 1, Component set to HD input 1. I can get a picture of sorts using s-video or coax but it is real bad and still can't be stretched to fill the screen....couldn't watch it even if...
Rogo: Well, according to the guides on our local stations that broadcast in HD, only a select few programs are HD and they seem to always be prime time. The guide shows a special HD logo on the HD programs and not the others. This may be a local programming issue but that's what it is here. When not in HD, in 4:3 format, the picture is still a better quality which leads me to believe it is digital. The analog channels that broadcast simultaneously are poor picture...
Now that's really depressing if it is just a matter of flipping a switch! Why would they not "flip the switch?" But after thinking about this for a moment, I looked at the local major networks HD schedules on their respective websites and there really aren't that many shows in HD. I think the channels they use for HD broadcast in digital when not in HD...does that sound right? If this is the case, then why can't the picture be stretched? Unless it is the side bars...
manpig: Regarding HD scheduling. I went to the local network stations websites and they all seem to have a special section on what is playing in HD for the day or in some cases, all week. Appears to be news and prime time broadcasts. Also in one of the recent issues of S & V, was an article showing all the HD stations across the USA. I can dig it out for you if needed.
Vansanth B: My set top box is a Motorola DCT 5100 and I think you have hit the nail on the proverbial head with your post. Question is, can anything be done about this? Stretching I mean. Appears the answer is no. Even though the signal is not really HD(except in prime time which is true HD), the TV thinks it is.....I believe the signal is digital and digital seems un-stretchable as well. Might be worth a call to Motorola tomorrow and hopefully they can enlighten me...
BB: That's good, see there are some of you all with a sense of humor out there. R
Rogo: Right you are mate. I was confused. My mom always told me to believe only 50% of what I hear and nothing of what I read, and again, mom knows best. My information was mis-information from my cable supplier who said they broadcast 4 channels of HD programming. What he failed to tell me was, not all programming on these 4 stations is HD 24/7. Most of the time, it is digital, which I also cannot stretch. Don't know why but I can't. When the signal is HD, it is...
yup Rick
Thanks for your input. I have spent several years on this and other forums studying the comparisons of all available projection sets and finally came up with what I think is the best bang for the buck in my RPTV. I am only discouraged by the lack of knowledge by the cable providers sales people as they should not be telling consumers their signals are true HD 16:9 format 'cause they're not. It is my understanding the problem is not totally with the cable providers but...
A little late now but must admit, I would have had I known.....