Wow, I haven't been on this thread in a LONG time. I noticed some blue blobs on my screen and decided to check in. I guess I'm glad to hear that Sony is doing something about this. So, if I'm reading the recent posts correctly: Call Sony Support (on the Sonystyle web page, or what's listed in the manual?) They'll offer some upgrade options after I explain the problem. Can you negotiate better offers?
7/18/10 at 1:43pm