or Connect

Posts by mrock12

Can someone explain to me how a show, where the actual video (not counting the bars on the side) has a 4:3 aspect ratio, can be called HD? I have a chart from Miranda Technologies that shows all of the "Digital Production Formats" and only the ones that have a 16:9 aspect ratio are called HDTV. Is there another commonly accepted definition of HD? Are the network, satellite, and cable companies free to use the HD label any way they see fit?
Perhaps it would be helpful to look at this in the extreme. Scenario 1 - You can only buy one package from the cable company. You get all channels. It costs you $150 per month. Scenario 2 - The cable company offers all programming as video on demand, no channels. Each program has its own price ranging from free on up. Your monthly bill is based on what you ordered and watched. These scenarios are the business model from the cable company to the consumer. ...
I favor ala carte, but I can see kbp's point. The problem with bundles is that consumers don't have a choice. It's all or nothing. You have to buy the whole bundle even if you are only interested in twenty percent of the channels in the bundle. With ala carte, the channels could be restructured so that consumers still don't have much of a choice. You are forced to buy a channel, even though you are only interested in twenty percent of the programs in the channel. If...
Here's an interesting article: http://www.lightreading.com/document...WT.svl=news1_1 From the article, Jeff Binder, senior director of Motorola Inc. (NYSE: MOT - message board), warned that the big broadcast networks may soon pose an even greater threat to the cable industry's video business model than YouTube. He cited CBS Corp. (NYSE: CBS - message board)'s plans to stream its primetime programs on the Web for no charge a day earlier than their first run on the TV...
biker1, you're not far off. As soon as delivery of content gets as easy as sat/cable/ota where I can purchase my viewing one event at a time (like tonights episode of 24 or the Super Bowl or the nightly news), then I'll do it and drop any channel subscriptions. Ala carte' is a step along the way, where I have to buy the whole 24 hr/day channel, but paying for each event is the ultimate goal. In fact, if I only watch part of a program, I should only be charged for the...
I look forward to the day when I only get charged for what I actually watch. I could do this today if I wanted to limit myself to content that can be rented or purchased, but there is other content I'm interested in. Hopefully in the future, the Internet will be the delivery vehicle and people will buy their program viewing experience one movie or TV episode at a time.
So when the 2008 elections roll around, be sure to vote for the candidate that will look the best in HD. :-)
I think it was last weekend that 788 was carrying some FSN college basketball game in HD. The game was between teams from some other part of the country. Just after this game, the LSU vs Oregon State game started on FSN standard def channel 34. The game was advertised by FSN as being available in HD. Why didn't Comcast run it on 788 in HD?
Has there been any information on KATU being able to broadcast Jeapordy and Wheel of Fortune in HD? From what I understand, they will have to record it and convert it from 1080i to 720p.
OK. It's now HD. Better late than never.