or Connect

Posts by randy98mtu

I (and I think most others) painted the frame black. I could definitely see the edge of the bottom of the frame through the screen initially. You aren't seeing the color though, it's the edge of the wood pushing on the screen a touch. I was going to tuck dowels between the bottom of the frame and the spandex to push it away from the frame. Others put an additional piece of molding to keep the screen away from the structure. I did offset my verticals about 1/8" from...
Well nothing new to report on progress wise. Not watching that many movies sadly, just busy. We have watched a few and everyone who has seen/experienced the room loves it. I've played around with a few settings on the projector. Starting to wonder what calibration would do and how I would find someone to do it. I did score a pair of 3D glasses on clearance at Best Buy. The 3D is better than I expected, though I haven't experienced in home 3D before. I did take some...
Looking good. And more for the rest of us in process to think about! I can't wait to start on the fabric and sound treatments. That is next up for me!
I totally agree. I think it's a great value projector. Not going to beat a crazy expensive Runco or something, but will convince folks who don't think projectors are "there" yet that they are. My father-in-law was here last weekend. After about 20 minutes he says, "I've been in several of these rooms and never felt like I wanted one. Now I feel like I NEED one!" My wife, who has heard me talking about it for over a year and knew what level i was taking things to, was...
Thanks for the pointers. This is feeling like so many other things I've taken on. It's going to take me a long time because I know there is a lot I don't know and I don't want to do it more than once. I'm not opposed to DIY, but won't I end up spending a healthy chunk on an amp in that case? I also don't have the time in the near term to invest in learning and tackling that. I'm thinking I'm going to be lucky to get the time to watch a couple movies and finish the...
I got mine "sold by Amazon.com". Glad to hear they are backing up the warranty should there be any problems. Especially given what Panasonic sounds like to deal with. I'm up to 18 hours on mine in under a week without any real problems (knock on wood.) Edit: Nice on the price match! I will call them. They are about $50 less than when I got it last week.
Impressive album! I've always had an interest, but never gotten into speakers all that much. When I was single, I was in a condo where I wouldn't have been able to use them that much. Now I'm in my house and there is always someone else around to disturb. Now that I have a reasonably soundproofed theater, maybe I can get into this a bit more!
I think I'll try the innocent "If you don't want to, it's not a big deal, but would you mind if I bought these speakers that are on clearance for 60% off?" My JBL's aren't bad. Something tells me these Monitor 70's would work for quite a while without a sub. I would be using one of these for a center as well, since my speakers are all behind a DIY Spandex screen anyway. So $450 for 3 tower speakers whose replacement goes for $360 street each sounds pretty sweet to me.
Thanks Stanley. Definitely need to give this one some thought. Unfortunately, as I am in the equipment phase of my basement, the bills are adding up. I just dropped $260 last night on some in-walls for the basement living room. Though I did get $150 back on the TV I bought for the basement today. lol Lots of trade-offs going around. These M70's look like they could be a long term solution, but without being sure and having just bought all the equipment that is in my...
I was just drooling over some tower speakers (the RTi A9's) and the more I looked around and researched I landed here. The RTi's are way out of reach right now, but I could be compelled to present 3 Monitor 70's to the CFO (wife) I just "finished" my theater last week (see sig) and I am currently using my JBL Studio series setup. I have S38 fronts, a Studio Center and S26 surrounds driven by a Denon 3313. My plan is for enclosed in wall surrounds, which I'm currently...