or Connect

Posts by Les Auber

I'd recommend following Theta"s 9600k baud rate and delay coming out of standby. When the IIIHD was originally released it still had a rate of 115k and no delays originally recommended. I think I about gave Craig a heart attack when I called and told him it would lock up if I sent several commands back to back like in a macro. My original solution was adding pauses which is way clunky and inelegant for a solution. I'd tried the reduced baud rate thing but couldn't get...
Correct. A new tower or a complete new case if like me you still had the old smaller case when going from III to IIIHD.Dealer? What dealer? Might change now with Theta making a comeback. But Craig's been too good to want to change.
Steve, My guess would be you have a detioriorated section of cable that change with conditions. When my line got noisy the DSL slowed down. Bad for video. I think one of the things they did to fix was switching me to a new wire pair. Jeff, Sorry for taking so long to answer. TiVo's space estimates seem pretty good with digital. Encoding is QAM 256. Analog seems to take more space.
Brighthouse still has analog channels or at least analog cable available. It's my understanding that they're planning to retire them in the next few years. What I've been using to compare is the 4 channel digital only Premiere XL4 and a Series 3 HD still hooked up analog mode in the same system. Once you put cable cards and a tuning adapter on a Series 3 it's all digital. Then simply flip back and forth on the inputs of my pre-pro. Imperfect? Yes, there might be...
This paper reads much like what was written for the CD. Wonder why no one writes these things using square waves? The life of the music is in the transients and dynamics. Possibly why the piano is so hard to get right. The vibrating string is easy while the strike of the hammer is not.Think about what you get if you sample a transient or a square wave at the wrong time, the delayed samples in the paper, I doubt the reconstruction will look as good.
Correct. But the two tuner Series 3 HD that I've been using for the analog to digital comparisons does. Didn't make sense to me to compare the digitized analog to digital channels.
Jeff, Tivo is a good alternative to poor cable company equipment. 4 tuners, streaming, larger hard drives and internet services (Netflix, Amazon etc). What I can't tell you is how painful a Comcast install would be. Brighthouse was on the order of a root canal without anasthesia but short of a full migraine. In theory you can do a self install. What I haven't sorted out in practice was wether they were blowing it on purpose to justify changing the requirement or just...
Alan,You're quite correct. Tivo and U-verse are completely incompatible for the reasons stated. So dumping Brighthouse means Tivo goes too. I was hoping FIOS would come out this way which would have solved it all but no such luck.I think I'm in the second category now if I can believe the kids that keep coming around trying to sell it. That might solve the other issue with U-verse I keep hearing about of so so picture quality. Being at least theoretically eligible for...
Thanks Steve. I thought that at least that part might go that way. The AT&T techs worked their tails off to resolve an intermittent phone issue I was having. Brighthouse has some good people put it's horribly painful to get to them. Took 2 days and several hours on the phone to find out that they set the copy once flag eliminating multi-room viewing on Tivo. Part I can't figure out is why it worked for a week before being set. From what they finally told me their...
Steve, Hows U-verse treating you now? I just bit the bullet and got cable cards for one Tivo since Speed moved to digital. Brighthouse let me ride for a few days and then sent out the broadcast flag prohibiting room to room transfer on all but the local channels. From what Tivo tells me they're the only cable company in the country doing this so I need to consider alternate services. AT&T has been trying real hard to get me to try U-verse. Now might be the time to...