or Connect

Posts by Colm

Look here.
I have to give Oppo kudos. Their 6' HDMI cable is only $10.
A ground is required for surge protection only if the surge protective device is of the 3 mode variety, and then only for two of the modes (L-G and N-G). A MOV-based device will still provide protection for L-N, which is where the real threat is. Series mode devices only provide L-N protection and do not require a ground connection for protection. However, any device with a 3-prong plug requires a ground connection to ensure that the breaker protecting the circuit will...
Yeah, that happens sometimes with three year old links. FWIW it was a research paper that measured the effects of ferrite cores on HDMI signals.I don't know. Why don't you ask them? Maybe they need them to keep their gear from polluting the ether. A better question might be why are they typically seen only on the cheapest cables?
The wire you are considering does not appear to be UL listed. There is no UL logo or file number on the jacket. So, even though it says CL2 on the jacket, there is no telling whether it meets UL requirements or not. I would spend the extra money and go with something from a reliable source.
UL establishes a floor for safety. It isn't concerned with performance. Consider the variety of power receptacles available for residential use. The cheap residential ones are loose as a goose and only get worse with time, some are back-wired which is another problem. The usual advice is to use spec grade or better for AV, or even the whole house. Just as residential receptacles vary, so do power strips. So, the same advice applies to power strips. Most power strips...
It is really pretty simple. It all comes down to resistance, capacitance, inductance, shield, and consistency of construction of the pair.Cable companies produce a variety of cables for a variety of needs. An educated user should have no trouble figuring out what to use.They are built to deliver a particular characteristic impedance required for the AES/EBU interface. The characteristic impedance is irrelevant for analog audio because it doesn't operate as a...
No, it is quite simple to transmit audio over fiber. You use a light emitting diode operating in its linear region to transmit, and a phototransistor for the receiver. It is analog, not digital.
Power factor correction is an issue for the utility, not a residential user. It is used so the utility doesn't have to build out to handle more current than is necessary. You shouldn't need any special "conditioning" to run your powerline network. As far as preventing your neighbors from seeing what is on your network, my guess is that you will find the cost of doing it is more expensive than you want. You basically need a choke capable of handling the current on each...
The quality is comparable. You won't hear a difference.