or Connect

Posts by BenBroder

As I told Beowulf57 a few posts ago, if your TV fails there is a good chance it might not power on or be able to display a readable image.
Those are user manuals. jmmesch was looking for the service manual.
Your premise was that there would be no evidence because you would restore the service mode settings to their original values before calling Pioneer. But haven't you considered that if your TV were to fail, there is a pretty good chance that it wouldn't power on, or if it did, wouldn't be able to display a readable image? In which case you'd be unable to restore the settings. So after the technician replaced the power supply or other failed component, the TV would power...
It means that historically TVs have always had the vertical and horizontal size controls adjusted so that 5-10% of the edge of the picture was cut off, so broadcasters don't have to worry about what was happening at the very edge of the screen. With analog broadcasting and CRTs, lots of data can be sent in the vertical blanking interval between the end of one frame and the start of the next. This includes things like closed captioning info, time codes, ghost canceling...
Broadcasters assume that viewers have TVs that overscan, and there is often garbage at the edge of the picture. You'll see it less frequently if you don't use dot-by-dot mode. Even without using dot-by-dot, you'll see it occasionally, as the orbiter moves the picture around reducing the overscan on a particular edge. I moved my picture up a bit to eliminate it.
I look at it a different way. They are great at polling their readership for repair and satisfaction data, and compiling comprehensive statistics. They are usually good at product testing, though occasionally wander astray when they eschew accepted industry standard tests in favor of devising their own. But I find the opinions of their editors and so-called experts unreliable, and frequently at odds with my own experiences.My fear with TV testing is that they line up...
I use the LAN connection occasionally to stream TV shows, movies and home camcorder video from my computer. I use TVersity as the streaming server (since it supports some on-the-fly format transcoding), though I have also played around with both Nero media home and the sharing feature of Window media player 11. The Elite's support of video file formats is not particularly comprehensive; though tools like Nero Recode can be used to convert incompatible files to a usable...
I don't know; D Nice's settings thread has certainly been praised by many here as a terrific resource for getting their Kuro into the ballpark. I was under impression that sharing post-calibration settings was frowned upon mostly because it's unethical, not because it's worthless.
You don't need to reread this whole long thread, just the first page. (post #12) "Yea, no internal decoding for any of the new formats. Is not rumor, it already has being confirm by the reviewers."
I'm no fan of Best Buy, but I wouldn't steal from them.