or Connect

Posts by MTyson

Fantastic camera, but not for everyone. It can give you an Arri Alexa level image in many instances. Throw on a speedbooster and you have a near Super 35mm crop that becomes an equivalent to 2,500 Native ISO with the added 1 2/3rd stops of light added by the speedbooster. If you decide to go the BMPCC route you'll need IR cut filter and ND filters unless you don't mind stopping your lenses way down out in daylight. You can do amazing things with RAW and Resolve that you...
A7S looks to be in a league of it's own when it comes to low light. I'm assuming you meant 1080p instead of 1080i though, right?
Stunning video from the A7S. I can immediately see the dynamic range improvement due to the S-Log 2. This footage takes on a very film like look compared to most digital video. I was really hoping Sony would wise up and up S-Log 2 in one of their cheaper cameras. http://vimeo.com/90739453
Undecided. Although, it would greatly diminish mico-jitter rolling shutter jello from my handheld shots. lol. For now I think not, but if an amazing 4K or 6K sensor with 16 stops of dynamic range & high frame rates comes along like the Kinemax 6k that I can upgrade to then I will consider it. It's just a very very unique camera. .
If I get one I'd be coming from the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera and canceling my GH4 Pre-Order. I may wait on it though until a new sensor is available. Although, it's nice that 4k 60p RAW as well as ProRes is an option.
Not sure why, except maybe they're using the same sensor as in the Production Camera. Either way, for me that's a minor flaw and just about everything listed looks absolutely BRILLIANT! They listened and included so much it's mind blowing:Super 35mm: Check!4k: Check!Global Shutter: Check!10.1" flip out LCD monitor: HOLY FRACK! Check! Built-in Waveform monitor & scopes for accurate exposure : Check!Very high bitrate compressed and RAW recording of both 4k and 1080p upto...
Yeah, a bit large but a 10" screen! Freakin' cool! It's not much heavier than an Alexa though. Will be fine for steadicam rigs, which is exactly what cinema cinema cameras should be equipped with for those silky smooth hand held shots. The weight alone helps keep micro jitters at bay. Global shutter kills any rolling shutter too, so win-win, except for your arms, but they'll get a good work out at least.
NAB 2014 just got a lot more exciting! BMD just announced the world's first user upgradable sensor/mount Super 35mm 4k Digital Film Camera with dual recorders, two extra touch screens, 10.1" 1920x1200 built-in viewfinder, DaVinci Resolve 11 and much more for only $5,995. Plus, they also just announced the world's smallest 4k Studio camera with the world's largest viewfinder....a 10" viewfinder. for $2,995. BTW, the 4k Super 35mm also shoots 1080p 60p RAW & ProRes....
I'm really hoping BlackMagic Design has something else up their sleeves to keep all the big guys on their toes, especially after KineRaw announced a 6k Super 35mm camera with 14-stop dynamic range 12-bit color at 6k and 16-stops 14-bit color at 3k (along with some high frame rate options). I get the feeling we won't get any new cameras from them this year, but will in 2015. Hope I'm wrong though. Excited to see what else comes out, but I doubt anything barring a new BM...
The dynamic range is looking quite impressive here, but I will wait for further tests. I'm looking forward to seeing more tests to see how the DR compares against the BMPCC in RAW. If it's 13 stops it's most likely 13 stops at ISO100 and then down more and more as the ISO increases. I wish they'd do whatever magic the Canon C100 is doing, so that it can retain the whole DR thoughout the ISO range like the C100...but I highly doubt it. The slow-mo is wonderful. Panasonic...