or Connect

Posts by rothe

I purchased one of these at Sears a few months ago, on sale for a whopping $299! I'm more than satisfied with it for that price, but I've learned a few things about it that might help somebody else out. At first, I had trouble getting audio to work over HDMI, but I've since found that this issue was caused by my older laptop and/or the video and HDMI drivers that go along with it. I've since disabled audio to the TV via HDMI at my receiver. However, when I initially...
More likely a radio frequency noise problem. An amplified antenna will only amplify the noise as well.Try to find the noise source by walking around with a portable radio tuned to a weak station. Try it on FM. Try it on AM. When you find a noise source, turn it off and see how your reception goes.Fluorescent and LED lighting seems to be a common problem. Also, consider that the noise source might be one of your neighbors' lights as well.
The fact that this is happening after nightfall points to lighting as a primary suspect. Try this trick that has helped for a few of us: grab an AM radio and tune it to a weak station. Walk around the house or neighborhood and take note of any strong sources of hum. if that doesn't turn up anything, then message me and I'll tell you about a spectrum analyzer that I have available for a cheap rental rate. But try the radio first.
I wouldn't be so certain. If the interference is strong enough, a tuner or preamp or amplifier could be overloaded. That could affect all channels, intermittently too if the interference source is transient like from a motion sensor or noisy dimmer like the one I found at home. That dimmer was mostly affecting me on WLIW, which is a UHF channel.
Wow! I just took my own advice, and grabbed a portable radio and walked around the house. I switched it to the AM band with a weak station tuned in, and just listened for hum and static. The CFLs and T-5s (thin, long tube fluorescent bulbs) scattered around the house made a small amount of noise that diminished quickly as soon as I pulled the radio a foot or two away from the noise source. An old T12 fixture in my basement made a bit more noise, but nothing that I would...
Define "central NJ." I'm in Ocean Grove, and I've certainly been having more trouble lately getting my two favorite off-axis stations. (NJTV and WLIW are my only two receivable PBS sources. WNET is just barely too weak for me to pick up reliably, but these two usually come in even though they're somewhat off-axis from where my main antenna is pointed.) I've attributed the diminished reception to atmospheric conditions, but there may be some new interference sources that I...
Looking at that setup and environment, I see a few issues. You're correct about the trees, but they're not yours to mow down. So your only alternative is altitude. ANY more height will gain you signal strength, and might help the antenna to not have to look through the densest part of the many of these trees. But more than that, I see a problem with reflections from behind the antenna. As I've mentioned here before, near-field reflections from behind will have the effect...
Try NJ Today for local NJ-centric coverage. Pick it up on channel 50 in north Jersey. Rebroadcast four times per day. http://www.njtvonline.org/njtoday/
Stuff that I learned from using a spectrum analyzer: Reflections, whether from distant buildings or geographical features, or from near-field surfaces like roofing shingles or brick walls, will significantly alter the shape of a channel's reception chart. This isn't just a bogus "signal strength" rating like what your TV tells you, but it's a chart of the *quality of the signal.* Take a look at the three charts of my channel thirteen reception at the bottom of this...
Don't give up hope so quickly.I have an older Zenith CRT-based HDTV in my household. It has overscan adjustments, but they are tucked away in a service menu that is not documented in the User's Manual. I had to order a printed service manual in order to find out how to access the overscan adjustments, and that was sufficient for me to reduce the factory-set overscan and display more of the broadcast image.You may not need to purchase a manual to find this setting. Those...