or Connect

Posts by Doug O

"Netcast is the name of LG's suite of media-streaming services and luckily once you enter the Netcast section, you're greeted by large tiles with the names of services. LG's lineup of services is impressive, including Netflix, Vudu, CinemaNow, YouTube, Pandora, Picasa, and AccuWeather. " I'd be interested to see what happens when you hook one of these up in Canada. Do the many netcast symbols disappear or what?
Great! So, $400CAD for a crippled machine? Still no way....
I don't see these units listed at the LG Canadian site so it looks like they will have to come up with a new wrinkle to sell them here (as will all the other producers). The biggest problem is the extra services that can't be accessed from here (Vu Du, Pandora, Netflix, etc.) or simply do not exist in this market. Am I going to blow $500 on a crippled machine? No possibity of that....
Hmmm...I notice many of the hardware manufacturers pushing the Internet content bag around. Most of these services were locked out if you lived in a country like Canada, so what will be the big draw here? I can hear the crickets chirping already....
Player doesn't like some kinds of Divx files. Tried a 5.03b Divx file and it wouldn't even see it. Also has the 2GB file size limitation on MKVs. This player definitely needs a firmware upgrade but I doubt that Curtis (as a company) is listening....
Found the solution to not being able to play MKV subs to be to put the MKV and the subs (ripped with MKVmerge or other ripper) and put them into the same folder, much as you would play an avi file and it's subs. Now it works great!
Were you able to play the file right through? The Insignia and other players have a problem and will stop the file playback at the 2GB mark even if the file is larger. Also, were you able to play subtitles in MKV files? For the life of me, I can't get the Curtis to do it....
Zellers (Canada) has the Curtis 1102 on sale for $100CAD (down from $170) from Jan. 29th to Feb. 4th. Player has been confirmed to work with the remote control region change so it will accept discs from anywhere in the world as well as play MP4 (Divx, Xvid, etc.), MKVs (over the 2GB limit some other players have), DVD RAM discs, VCD, SVCD, etc. I don't think this one can do downloadable content but the manual is sorta vague on that. I'm hoping we eventually get some fan...
Just to let everyone know, Zellers will be selling the Curtis 1102 starting today (Jan. 29th) through Thursday Feb. 4th for $100CAD, down from $170CAD. Time to get my first new toy for the new year.....
It has been confirmed that the Curtis 1102 sold by Zellers Canada and possibly others can indeed play back other region Blu Ray discs. Confirmed by a poster at videohelp. I think it's still a bit pricey but for what it does, it could be worth it for some people. I'll keep checking the ads and if it goes on sale, I'll let you know. To Kurtos: we knew that the European version of the player would play both SD DVD and Blu Ray out of region discs but we were uncertain if...