or Connect

Posts by Doug O

Anyone have a list of what channels are not copy protected so we can use the HDMI inputs of the HD PVR 2? How about OTA tuners? Those channels should look astounding since we are talking about uncompressed signals. We know from the website that the Gamer Edition can also cap from the analog component inputs but I'm guessing that's not what many of us want to do with these devices...
Samsung, Apple, Sony, etc. all rolling out devices with services that will not work in Canada. The public at large does not know about VPNs so these devices will be a hard sell up here. Only us tech nerds will buy them. Sadly, that is the lay of the land for Canada...
Tried to use Videoredo to correct the aspect ratio and ran into the dreaded "audio ring buffer overflow" twice now. Apparently this is still a problem with the most recent build. I've set all the options in the hidden menu to the forum moderator's suggestions but the conversion is slow going now, stuck at about 11 minutes. The last two times the program just froze. Looks like the program is great for h264 recorded material but no good for DVD sources with their current...
Well, tried to cap through the Vision Quest component inputs directly to the Pioneer 650 with everything set to PS 480i and still get the picture in a box effect. Odd thing is the high def channels like AMC display correctly when direct viewed. Guess I'll have to try a re-encode using Videoredo. Update. The PVR has 2 480i display outputs. Going to try a recap with the second setting to see what happens...
I have been doing just that since 2003 when I bought a Panasonic E80H for $1200. My last acquisition was a Pioneer 650 in mint condition for $150. Been transferring to DVD/Mpeg 2 for a decade now. High def is reserved for PVR to HDD or disc transfers but other here have also been transferring tapes to h264 formats so I want to see how well that is working. Probably not any better than recording at the maximum Mpeg 2 bitrate, but you never know.
Oh yes, the manual is incorrect. Page 15 "Recording Source" misses the rear Component inputs entirely. I must check also if the unit can do bi-directional firewire transfers. The manual does say it can record the vcr portion and act as a monitor of the camera but I'd like to try and see if there is bi-directional support through a computer as well. Now, where can I get a Mac...
Thanks. I'll look into doing that. I have also been told I can play the video back but set the PVR for a 480i TV output and either direct record it to the Vision Quest or loop it from the Vision Quest though the S-Video output to the Pioneer 650 to correct the aspect ratio. Worst case scenario I can fix it with Videoredo.Went back and checked and found this explanation and fix:http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/350495-Hauppauge-HD-PVR-SD-Cropping-InfoWith a little work, I...
Two things that do not exist in Canada 1) Tivo 2) Cable card Back to square one for recording things I want to watch over again unless I want to get a whole house PVR from my satellite TV or cable provider. The new units allow recordings from multiple channels at the same time with playback on multiple devices or home units (up to 4 simultaneously). Not what I want though since I have to pay forever for this system. I can understand where you are coming from for...
As I understand it, the 3700 and 4000 series have component input but no HDMI input. The 7000D HK model has HDMI input but the recordings in high definition cannot be copied to a PC. The Hauppage HDPVR 1212 has component inputs but no HDMI input. The Hauppage HDPVR 2 has HDMI but only for recording non encrypted sources like video games consoles. I don't think the content on satellite or cable is non encrypted content, through the HDMI though the box states that you can...
Interesting that according to the Aussies, the earlier model MTV4000 can definitely have its programming pulled at least from free TV using a USB flash drive or hard drive (see post #131) and the content can be edited using Videoredo: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=95076&st=125 Also, there is a menu pull down that says transfer to USB HDD in this video: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=iiTV3k4wgdc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiiTV3k4wgdc I have to do more...