or Connect

Posts by Doug O

SVCD plays for sure. Tried out a disc this past afternoon. I believe the MN record modes work for both -R as well as -RW. I'll try to confirm this tomorrow. I'm tempted to buy one just to play with for a few weeks as you can return them for a full refund within 30 days. Good enough to see if I want to keep it or not. As to recording from my IRD, I have an old Dishnetwork/Expressvu that has built in timers that allow me to change the channels at specific times. That will do...
I can confirm that the 310 plays SVCD. Tested one out this past afternoon. See my review here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=304283 Doug O
Only got to read the manual which is quite thick for a non HDD standalone. The unit features DV IN/OUT, DVD-R/RW recording, VCD playback (doesn't say anything about SVCD), various onscreen menu functions, external cable box/satellite IRD control (see further on), Fine/SP/LP/EP/Manual record settings, VR mode editing with -RW, chapter lock/unlock (so you don't accidently erase programs), undo edit (that might come in very handy!), disc history (show how much recording space...
Futureshop (Canada) currently has the Memorex "Made in Japan" 5 packs back in. Those were either Taiyo Yuden or Ricoh disks and should burn flawlessly. The 5 pack is $15CAD but branded Maxell 2X are down to $17CAD per 5 pack so I don't even bother...
Burned a hundred DVD-Rs with mine using Maxell, Verbatim and Ritek media without any problems that I didn't cause myself. Better check your install. Also, don't burn to crappy discs (those under $1 wonders) as the Pioneer is a bit picky with crappy disks. Check at dvdrhelp for lists of what kinds of discs reliably burn with that burner. I love mine to death!
But a lot of stuff isn't even on the burner. There are a ton of old Disney live films I'd kill for (Follow Me Boys, Dr. Syn/The Scarecrow, Tonka, etc.) among others that simply never get released. I saw a set of Russ Meyer DVDs recently, but they were from France! Why no USA release? Ask Russ Meyer. Point is, there are a lot of things that are coming out and a lot of stuff that may never come out. I was glad to see the teen music comedy "The Last American Virgin" finally...
Anyone checked this unit out yet? http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=11 Haven't had time to check the manual but will try to get back shortly to do so... Doug O
Ditto on LD. A friend dumped his LD collection on me and I bought a Sony MDP-500 (flipper) for $20 from a pawn shop. The discs play flawlessly. Waiting to set up the stereo for playback of the Criterion Bladerunner which with all probability will never be released again in that version (only the "Director's Cut" version is available on DVD) as well as the original versions of Star Wars, which I also own...
BS Analog Tuner - Japan only Ghost reduction tuner - most of Japan is still on over-the-air television broadcasts. Cable and satellite delivery are still limited (unlike here). The large number of VR functions that mimic DVD-RAM functions (and are also mostly non compatible with standalone DVD players. "Pioneer intends to further expand its market share and become the market leader in Japan" - What!? Gave up on the rest of the World already?? Some nice features...
Price disparity is why I'm going to probably buy a standalone from the USA instead of Canada and the warranty be damned! Almost $1,000 CAD price difference between the US and Canadian prices for the Panasonic E100 make this a great deal, and with the saved money, I can include an upgrade in my computer to boot! Also, I've gone the cap card route too for way too many years, starting with old still picture cap cards all the way up to my ATI AIW 7500. I just can't put up with...