or Connect

Posts by Doug O

Been thinking of getting either the Panasonic E80 or E100 units stateside what with the increase in value of the Canadian dollar as well, even with having no Canadian warranty the price for buying in Canada seems ridiculous, at close to $1,000CAD extra for the privilege of buying Canadian! I keep hearing that buying things like tools in Canada is way cheaper than buying USA but this doesn't hold when buying electronics, especially new electronics. Can anyone shed some...
Quote: I tried going through the ATI Radeon in my computer but it still passed the Macrovision. I assume you have used the macrovision detect registry defeat? I know that I can copy a macroed tape from VHS to my HDD by using that method. Were you trying to use the Radeon as some kind of pass-through to the standalone? Since I don't have one of those, I have no idea if that will work...
Still nothing for the Canadian market since we don't use Tivo. The only model listed at their website is the 7000. Guess I'll be buying Panasonic...
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h...me=product.cgi I can't get the demo to work though...
Well, I blew that one. It's a PVR like the RCA one with a 40 Gig drive. I'm wondering if you can copy to the HDD though from the DVD as the HDVD-H2 specifically says you can do that. Presumably, then after you edit your DVD to the HDD, you could copy the contents to another recorder. Hmmm. Guess that unit won't be coming here anytime soon... Double oops! The manual above is in regard to the Polaroid...
The Polaroid has no HDD. The Malata has a 40 Gig HDD. Other than that, they look identical. The manual for the Panasonic is an easy read. No direct control of external boxes *again* but I'm starting to expect that in these devices...
Just saw one listed at the Malata site: http://www.malata.com.hk/details/p1028.html No idea what format this is though as that info isn't included inthe description. I have also seen this listed on the Canadian Malata site...
For those having media problems with their computer or standalone DVD burners, check out the media lists at dvdrhelp. They have a good forum on just that subject as well. Finally found out that the E80s are available in Canada. Once I find a good source for quality discs (currently I only use branded Maxell 2X and Verbatim 2X DVD-R in my Pioneer A05), I'll be all set...
Ooh! Looks like they'd need to make some massive changes to the 200 to get it compatible to equipment here, including the ethernet capability, wireless use (not as common here as it is in Japan and China), taking out the BS connection and making it control external satellite and digital cable boxes from here...and that price! In the end it might be awhile before we see this baby or a modded version of it on our shores...
If so, at least regarding the black level bug, all fine and good. They DON'T seem to be listening to us when it comes to controlling external devices. Can we help it that Japan has an inferior cable TV system and that control of external boxes seems to not be available in any of the new standalones? Currently, I'm running multiple inputs and I would SO like to be able to have the recording devices switch the channels on the IRDs or cable boxes. This seems to have escaped...