or Connect

Posts by Frank Maiello

I have the XP21, BTW. Yes, as soon as the base of the lamp balloons, the output drops to nothing. I'm no expert in lamp technology, but I've been wondering if the problem can be avoided to some degree. Maybe that's just what happens to the material over time, no matter how cool an environment it operates in. -Frank
Two years ago when I was shopping around, posts of screen shots were helpful... but *ONLY* the side by side comparisons. The photos make the relative differences pretty obvious, "Wow--that one is way brighter... and better contrast... and the COLORS!" I remember somebody running one of an NEC LT155 versus a Sanyo XP21... and it pretty much made up my mind for me. I later got to mess around with both of them, and the pictures did indeed tell the story (except for...
Only two other Sanyo users who've read this have replaced the lamp? While we're at it, if you've replaced the lamp on *any* projector, it would be excellent to hear from you folks as well. Looking at PJ's in general, it appears that maximizing lamp life is not a design priorty. (Suppose they looked into the issue and came up with better lamp cooling solutions--what's in it for them? Nothing.) The AVS forum serves a knowledge base of sorts and I was more than...
Quote: Originally posted by McLardAss I'm curious to see how your DIY cooling box goes. If it works out, I'll build another one out of something a bit more stylish than a cardboard box. If anything it'll be worthwhile just to have a "silent" picture. Hey, imagine that! (I only implied it, but the PJ's fan would be disabled or removed.) -Frank
Quote: Originally posted by McLardAss The glass front had fissures and two large chunks missing. I can understand a catastrophic failure due to the heat but after a mere 600 hours? :( Any comments on whether extending the cooling-down period from the default 90 seconds to maybe 3 minutes would in some way help reduce bulb ware? McL Incidentally, was the reflector also cracked?? I'm pretty sure it's a design oversight or concession on Sanyo's...
Quote: Originally posted by DanHouck I only got 500 hours from my first before it failed. Dan I got around 900 from the stock lamp. After that, I started cycling it as little as possible, even when it ultimately meant leaving the PJ on for several hours longer. (If I go to the supermarket or something and it's on, it stays on.) Was the reflector on your old lamp cracked? (It doesn't affect performance, but it's not *supposed* to do...
I just got a new lamp in the mail today--fourth one in two years. While I seem to be getting around 1,500 hours from each one, they're all failing from excessive heat. The lamp (the quartz? rod inside the reflector housing) starts to balloon near the base. Once that happens, lumen output goes kaput. I have a feeling even WITHOUT pressure drop from the filter, there's simply not enough airflow. The reflectors on the past three actually cracked long before the lamp...
Yup, same thing... borrowed one from work... bought one 6 months later. Frank
Quote: Originally posted by Jay L why go analog now????? why not go with XM???? You obviously don't own a Magnum Dynalab tuner. :) (I don't mean this to be snotty, it's simply that FM is a lot more fun to listen to with an analog tuner like the MD's.) Frank
Quote: Originally posted by DanHouck I would suggest you provide extra space under it to allow better ventilation to the intake filters. Dan Better yet, you can kill two birds with one stone: elevate it with Vibrapods! While the difference isn't huge, the picture certainly appears more stable. They obviously soak up some of the fan-induced vibration. Frank