or Connect

Posts by jeff lam

if you still have access to the card, could you measure the height of it from the motherboard to the top? I have a low profile case and I'm not sure if any of the cards I'm looking at will fit.I was looking at this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127726 but I'm not sure if the 4.61" includes the mounting tab tail that protrudes out the bottom or if it measures from the insert slot. I'm just not sure where they measure from.
I was doing some searching on the 7790 vs the 7850 and it seems there is a substantial difference in performance between the 2 cards. Now I'm guessing at this point with current MadVR limitations both can handle the maximum settings but if additional settings are added in the future, it seems like the 7850 would be much better off and offer more headroom for future use. Although I'm not an expert by any means which is why I started this thread. I just got this info by...
The last thread like this I saw was over a year old so I wanted to get some updated opinions on what video card will offer the best price/performance and be able to handle all the best or near best settings in MadVR. obviously, it must bitstream HD Audio formats through HDMI to my receiver. There will be no gaming on this machine, only HTPC video playback. But I want the best video quality I can get out of the HTPC. I was thinking about the GTX 650 as it seems to be a...
I updated to the latest version of MPC-HC and my HTPC freaked out trying to play an MKV movie from my server. Looking at the changelog I noticed they embedded LAV filters which I assume may be the issue as I already had LAV filters installed and properly set up. I tried disabling "external filters" for MKV files but still had the problems. I tried a few other settings as well but it just would not work. It took a good 30 seconds to load the file and it would freeze and...
I'm not a big fan of Windows Media Center in general but when I built my HTPC it was the only option that did everything I wanted. I have an HD Homerun Prime 3 tuner setup on the network and I use WMC7 as a tool to record and watch TV, set up series recordings, watch DVD and Blu Ray discs, and listen to music. I use media browser for pretty much everything else video related. I also have a Windows Home Server 2011 machine that stores all the media except the TV...
Where can I find the Android client for download? I did not see it on the play store nor on the MB3 website. I must have missed it somewhere.
Back in the original MB3 anouncement thread there was talk about MB3 being a complete and stand alone front end including wmc live tv and pvr functions to completly replace the need to navigate around WMC. Is this still the case? I have not heard anyone talk about it in this thread yet. It would be nice to not have to worry about what programs and plugins to open to get to various media. An all in one solution would be fantastic. Also, how is the transcoding with MB3...
That TP Link access point is exactly what I ended up buying. It is actually quite powerful however it doesn't quite have the range through the obstructions for my needs with the cclients I am using. It is also pretty directional. I would guess it would be fine for your situation. If you can mount it high up and put it outdoors it would be superb. I still have yet to test mine outdoors but inside next to my router it can only reach about 100ft outside to my tablet.
Thanks for the input. I currently have an LG 10x blu ray drive and it seems to work fine for everything else I do. Maybe I'll try a brand with better support and firmware updates. What is the choice brand for blu ray playback these days?
Has anyone experienced choppy video playback during blu ray disk playback? I built a new HTPC with an i3 3225 HD4000 graphics. 8GB Ram, LG 10x blu ray drive. I'm bit streaming HD audio to my Denon receiver and while the audio is fine, I'm getting slight video choppy playback. It's subtle but definitely noticeable. It doesn't always occur but mostly happens every 10 min or so during a show or movie on blu ray. pausing briefly then resuming, or skipping chapters will...