or Connect

Posts by garyttu

All, I currently use WMC and MB3 classic. I'm helping a friend build a media server for transferring DVDs to an HTPC, but he's not as tech-savvy in regards to the ripping process, tweaking players, folder structure, meta data grabs, installing codecs/splitters, etc. Can you recommend a great all-in-one 'normal user' media server software? I'm considering XBMC, JRiver, Media Portal, Plex, etc, but haven't used any others than WMC and MB3 Classic (since I use LiveTV). He...
Well I appreciate the response- sorry for a bit of a rant there. I'll take a look at your suggestions and see if that helps. I certainly am quite interested though to see what Media Browser Theater holds for the future...
In short: 1) Reinstalling it is a hassle with having to mess with all the remote mappings 2) Sometimes it doesnt gracefully tab properly between the two apps 3) I can't stop a film and pick it up where I left off (since MB doesn't handle that anymore and passes the vid to the external player) All of the above is usually not a problem for me, but since this is a family setup and I have a WAF to deal with, these types of issues over time become annoying. Really WMC served...
I've got Comcast- but do end up watching Live TV as well for sports, etc. Thanks for the comments all- I'll give Media Portal and XBMC a look again and see how it can be set up to still get my live TV. One annoying thing that WMC doesn't do is change hz for video playback, so I get the 23/24 studder for not switching refresh rate. I usually run mpc-hc as an external MB player to handle this, but this has its own issues. Hopefully one of the above has that automatically...
All, I've been using WMC for about 6 years, and for a great deal of that been using my Ceton InfiniTV 4 with it. Overall, WMC has served me well, but with support and software for WMC on life support, i'm interested in looking at alternatives. It seems to me that WMC requires a lot more babysitting than i'd like to deal with anymore (Bugs with addins, menu strips, resolutions, etc.) and needs a lot of tinkering to make it do what I want. Before I needed it since I...
Thanks for the reply- I think what i'll do is just insert a small IR HDMI switch in the chain between the PC and AVR and leave it unlinked until I switch to its input and complete the chain with my remote macro.
Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off HDMI handshaking/syncing of a certain input on the NR818 until it is selected? I have a PC connected to one of the HDMIs (so it can be displayed on my projector connected to the AVR) and every time I turn on the receiver, the PC sees it as a connected device and changes where the monitor is displayed even when that input is not in use. I actually want this when the input is selected (this is how it was on my former SR805),...
Anyone know if 3D checkerboard mode is supported on this projector?
I should note i'm not exclusive to Onkyo. Back when I bought this one, Onkyo offered better specs dollar-for-dollar compared to Denon which I why I switched over from them. If that has changed, i'm open to looking at Denon again...
I'm replacing an Onkyo TX-SR805 that i've had for 5-6 years with another Onkyo AVR. I'm looking for the following reqs: - Add HMDI 1.4a so I can use Nvidia 3DTV play - Add more HDMI-in (Need about 4-5) - Output to two different HDMI devices (I want to connect a 3D 1080p projector and a 3D 1080p TV to the reciever and choose which one to output to) - I want to maintain similar performance of the TX-SR805 I have now, however I have added a rotel 2-channel amp for my L & R...