or Connect

Posts by JohnnyG

I think what we have here is a DVD player that was purpose-built around a particular chipset. I believe that generally speaking, when a manufacturer decides to build a DVD player, they work on the specs first (which is often marketing-driven and geared to hit a particular price point). Then they shop around for components that will fit those specs. If the chipset offers a feature that wasn't in the spec, it simply gets ignored. In the case of the XD-E500, it seems...
MovieSwede, if you can ENCODE 24P, then why does every single DVD chipset in existance decode FIELDS and then re-interleave them to make progressive frames? Why don't any of them DECODE 24P? Quite honestly, I'm surprised that this "DVD is progressive scan" falicy still exists after so many years. It was beaten to death in early 2000 when progressive scan players first started coming to market (note that I was a member of AVS 7 years before you were!)
Geez...yet another reference to some obscure website? They are WRONG. Pulldown flags indicate to a decoder what FIELDS should be repeated. How do you flag a FIELD in a progressive image? Answer: you can't! Riddle me this - why did it take so long for progressive scan DVD players to come to market? Why didn't the very first player offer progressive output? Why does EVERY SINGLE progressive scan DVD player use a chip that DEINTERLACES? Why is the intelligence of...
Choosing 50p will add field flags that a deinterlacer will use to re-assemble the full frame. More importantly, choosing Interlace likely adds a bit of convolution filtering to reduce the appearance of interlace flicker/twitter. This will lead to a more pleasant looking interlaced image but a softer, less detailed image when de-interlaced.
No, it isn't strange at all and you are misunderstanding the result of this option. If selected, it will write only the necessary FIELDS and add the necessary FIELD repeat flags.
Sorry but you guys have a fundamental misunderstanding. You are certainly not alone though...that Wikipedia page is also in error (hardly the first Wikipedia error, of course). Even that second link that MovieSwede provides contains contradictory information:Note the bolding that I added. FIELD SYTANX means INTERLACED VIDEO. The word "field" does not apply in any way to progressive video or progressive encoding. Here's but one credible site that supports what I'm...
Tripped across this thread and noticed this post. Paul Carleton did almost the exact same thing to me when I owned a A/V retail store called Next Big Thing Electronics! He accused my customers of being friends of mine and told me I would have to pay for advertising or he would censor and delete posts. I didn't and he did. Actually, I did enquire as to how many Canadian members he had (I'm in Toronto) and his response was "lots". Nice. Now compare this to AVS who *I*...
I made one error...the DVD is encoded as two interlaced fields but I made one wrong reference to 60i. You are correct in that there are no extra FIELDS encoded. But it is absolutely 480i and not p. Otherwise, 480p DVD players would not require deinterlacing for film-based material. Neither would pulldown flags be necessary because what would they indicate? What would you flag?
Yes, film based material would generally be movies. Although a lot of prime-time TV is actually shot at 24p today, the bulk of it, especially live events and "reality" TV, is video based. The disctinction is blurred today because "film" is often shot with 24p video equipment and no actually film is involved. So when you hear "film" these days think 24p, and when you hear "video", think 60i. DCDi has absolutely no affect on 24p material as it's actually a...
DCDi is for VIDEO based material only. It does absolutely nothing with film-based material.Some DVD players do not output a full and proper frame when paused. I suspect this Toshiba is one of them.