or Connect

Posts by RichBenn

Funny you should mention that. I picked up a BX110 (same as S1100) at Costco last night, as they were $65. Meets the "easy" criteria, and the pic seemed good enough (as too tired to fully check it the PQ) I'm not using discrete audio, so the stuff over HDMI or SPDIF will probably meet my needs.Note for others - this does not have wifi. I've got wired Gbit Ethernet with a switch to my home theatre location, so not an issue for me.
Wow! 500 plus pages! Normally I search, but please help so I don't have to read through all of these pages. My situation: I have a home theater PC with a Blu-ray disc, and am tired of fooling around with continual upgrades needed by the Blu-ray PC programs. I just want to pop a Blu-ray disc in and have it work. So am thinking a plain Blu-ray player is a good option. Since I have an HTPC and "Smart" TV and I don't really need all the internet apps, wireless networking,...
Anyone know what the specs are for the "Trigger Output"? I have a non-Yamaha subwoofer that burns alot of juice if not off. I was thinking I could hook this up to an SSR (Solid State Relay) to turn the sub off when the unit is off, but I need to know if it's a simple voltage ( say 12V on/0V off) and how much current it can source.
I also got a 671 on the newegg deal - arrives today!
So what version are you using? My jitter went away when I removed my HD5570 card and started using the Nvidia integrated video on my HPTC, but I'm moving it to another computer, so I'd love to know what release works well! (I could rant for hours about the state of SW development at ATI, but it won't solve anything)
Funny you should mention that - I just ordered a Sandy Bridge & board for my desktop, yanked the video card out of my athlon II HTPC to use with the SB. HTPC is getting along fine with the just the integrated video/athlon II combo. I was waiting for Llano, thinking it would be a great HTPC, but the prices are a bit higher than I'd have hoped. Then I got this idea to upgrade the old desktop.....
Bingo! I think it's the idle draw that makes the difference. If you can underclock/undervolt the i3, then even that is a wash. However, comparing an older proc with bigger die size (like an AMD Phenom) with a Sandy bridge, well, then there is a huge difference in idle consumption.
I have an nMediaPC, but a half-height version. I have an older 8200 based board, a duet half height tuner, and a 5570 graphics card, which games at medium resolutions. The power supply was a 250 watt, and pretty inefficient and noisy. I shoe-horned an 80% efficient 170 watt power supply in there, which dropped total power consumption to about 70 watts. Unfortunately, it's noisy too, as it has a 4" fan that runs too fast most of the time. And that, I think is the...
It's pretty clear that Microsoft is worried about losing out on the shift to tablets, like they mostly have done with smartphones. So their primary focus right now is to shoehorn Windows 8 into the tablet market. That means focus is on media on tablets, not media for HTPC with big screens and 3-D movies and such. So I don't think Windows 8, when it releases, will have anything really to offer HTPC buffs other than minor tweaks. Yeah, I'd like to hope for native Blu-ray...
What I found today (was on a different computer, don't know the URL, sorry) was that BullDozer (FX) was going to be delayed. This was viewed as a problem for AMD, as newer high end Sandy Bridge releases were to take the steam out of a late FX announce. My understanding is Computex will pretty much be mobile chip announcements, with desktop Llano later in June, at least for the US market (although I forgot which show, what date). Rich Edit - here is the link:...