or Connect

Posts by Doug G

OK, you got me curious now since I've never seen the EC, what happened to the original soldiers at the fort? Feel free to use a spoiler tag if you deem necessary, don't want to spoil it for anyone else! I received my UK copy of the TC last Saturday and finally got a chance to sit down and watch it (first half Mon night, second half last night.) I must say it looks pretty good. However, I admit I had a hard time seeing any of the reported posterization or macroblocking in...
Coolme - I strongly recommend you pick up a VideoEQ if you can find a used one. Using this unit you'll have full gamma and color correction. These older units desperately need these controls and lack them unlike the newer models. The good news is that on the used market you should be able to pick both these up for much less than you would spend on a new JVC or comparable unit and still get great performance. I use a VideoEQ PRO (same as std VideoEQ but with 4 stored...
For me, its all about Re-EQ. In a properly calibrated system in an average (i.e. not acoustically treated) household room listening at anything within 10dB of reference level will make your ears bleed. Re-EQ nicely tames the shrilly characteristic at these levels. I use it religiously. Recently I even found I prefer THX Loudness plus to Audyssey's Dynamic EQ for listening to music programs on my Onkyo TX-NR5007. It naturally enhances the low end without the...
This makes me feel somewhat better about buying the UK version TC as the same comments were made about that transfer. Could someone with both versions give me an apples to apples? Are the night scene issues on par in both releases or is one better than the other?
luma - I agree with you 110%. I've never owned a Harmony, but seriously what a joke. Sure, "cheaper" than a pronto but I have to call and "get permission" for them to add an IR code I need and there's no customization?! Um, I don't think so. I'm regularly changing, tweaking, adding all kinds of functionality to my Pronto. With both these solutions I'd argue you get what you pay for, and for me the Harmony simply doesn't get the job done in any way whatsoever. I also agree...
This is truly a travesty and very sad news indeed! My TSU2000 served me well for almost 10 years until it was eventually replaced last year by a new TSU9300. Glad I didn't wait any longer to replace it! I had no idea Philips had announced plans to axe this division so I'm truly shocked to read this. Pronto remotes were a revolution and I've become so accustomed to the flexibility and tweakability I have no idea what I'll do now when this one dies. Hopefully that's many...
Done! Even if its not the best transfer, to eliminate having to switch discs in the middle of the film and getting a clear PQ/SQ upgrade from the DVD, at this price its a no brainer! Phantom - Thanks for the great summary! Now I have a much better idea of what to expect. Sounds like something I can live with if they never release the TC domestically, even it it were to address those few shortcomings you mentioned.
Not to get too far off topic, but can I buy directly off the UK site? I figured I had to buy the "import" from the US site at like 4x the price!?
Can someone confirm the UK import of the TC has an AR of 2.39:1? Amazon lists it as 1.78:1 on the product page for the import version. (YIKES the price!) I have no interest in the DC of this film and am disappointed the US release won't include it. Before I go spending such a large sum on a single title (I currently own the 2-disc full rate DTS OAR TC DVD release) I want to be sure its in the OAR and a worthwhile upgrade over the DVD I currently own. Any other...
Sat down to watch Robin Hood last night and at first I thought the disc (NF) was bad when it seemed to get stuck loading while displaying the animated Universal logo. It took over 5 minutes to load, probably closer to 7! Anyone else see the same thing? Entire movie played fine so I'm not sure it was the disc after all....wondering if lack of new firmware updates in the past few months may finally be catching up to this model.