or Connect

Posts by VP/Engineering

Sorry folks, I haven't been checking this board lately. I spoke to the Chief Engineer at WIFR yesterday to find out why the HD programming has not been available lately. As it turns out, they lost their CBS provided HD satellite receiver due to lightning (they think). CBS will send a replacement and as soon as it comes in, the HD programming will resume. I agree, as the guy who spent all of that money to allow HD programming I want to see that we provide the best...
WIFR is operating at 49.6kW which is the maximum allocated for it by the FCC. We are operating under a STA due to an antenna center of radiation which is slightly lower than our allocation (due to the antenna being side-mounted). This is probably the final configuation for WIFR-DT. Thanks for your interest and again we solicit reception reports from all interested viewers to be posted to this forum.
For those of you monitoring DTV status in Northern Illinois, WIFR-DT CBS in Rockford in now up for equipment testing. It may be on and off over the next couple of weeks but should generally be available. There is a little work to be done to switch to and from the CBS HD feed but that shouldn't take more than a week. Until then you will mostly get the standard programming upconverted to 1080i. Please rescan for channels if your receiver requires it. The actual channel...
Timmy, Just talked to Jeff from the transmitter site. WIBW-DT is now running at 95kW as of 8:05 PM. Good luck with your reception and let us know if you have any better luck now. Again, thanks for your feedback. It helps more than you know. Thanks, Keith Bland VP/Engineering
Hi Guys, if all goes according to plan, the DTV should be up at 95kW tomorrow morning. Thanks for your support
Hi, while I'm not in Freeport I am in Rockford (NE side). I am able to get WREX-DT OTA using a small set-top antenna (Silver Sensor by Zenith/Antiference bought at Circuit City) and a Samsung SIR-T151 tuner. Furthermore, believe it or not, I have reliable reception for WISC-DT (CBS), WKOW-DT (ABC), WHA-DT (PBS) and sometimes WMTV-DT (NBC) all from Madison (58 air-miles away)! I'm the VP for Engineering for the company that owns WIFR, channel 23 in Rockford and we...
Hi guys, Here's where WIBW stands as of 3:30 today...we took the DTV off air so that we could run the main (analog) signal on the temporary line that was being used to feed the DTV. We have installed the channel combiner/splitter in the main line. As of now, we are running the interconnecting line from the DTV transmitter to the channel combiner and the line from the splitter (at the top of the tower) to the DTV antenna. The preliminary testing of the line for VSWR...
Actually, to determine ERP in a given direction the formula is: MAX ERP * relative field squared. So if the relative field at a particular azimuth is .6 and the MAX ERP for the station is 1MW, the ERP that azimuth is: (1,000,000W) * (.6*.6)= 360,000W
Tim, I should have mentioned that WIBW is using a temporary transmission line at the moment. It is very lossy and consequently we are operating at only abour 25kW. We are waiting on a component that will allow us to use the correct line and will bring the power up to 95kW or so. This should be done in the next couple of weeks, so don't give up yet. Thanks for your support.
Tim, We have found that intermittent reception as you described is most commonly as a result of multipath interference ('ghosting' in the analog world). Multipath is caused by the signal being received at the antenna by reflected signals (off of wall, roofs, people walking aroung etc.). The easiest solution is to obtain a highly directional antenna and try that. You want an antenna with a very high front-to-back ratio with good rejection of signals in any...