or Connect

Posts by arnyk

Please note that once upon a time namely the days of vinyl and tubes, true silences between notes and even musical selections were rare to non-existent.True deep black silence is one of the two things I noticed first when auditioning digital recordings before CDs became endemic or even available at all. The other was the absence of audible jitter, errr flutter and wow.A lot of the lingo of audiophilia traces back to the days of vinyl, and we have some of the same reviewer...
The differences among speakers are relatively huge and unmistakable in DBTs. If one is used to ABXing DACs or amps, the difference is shocking. The same speaker in a slightly different location or with a slightly different orientation is IME easy to differentiate in an ABX test. Different speakers stick out like sore thumbs. Note that Harman talks a lot about blind speaker preference tests, and not at all about ABX tests of speakers. That's because if you do ABX tests...
The limit to the SNR of the music you listen to is far more likely to be the lossy compression involved than the DACs in even a cheap BD player. The essence of lossy compression is replacing music with noise. I don't know of any web source that is streaming lossless files, do you?There's no doubt that Oppo uses some of the best DACs in the business but its all about numbers and nothing about sound quality that is perceivable in the listening room with commercial sources...
I agree with many of the other points that you made.However there is a technical point to here, which is that a given amount of power delivered by a lower powered amp will dissipate less heat than the same amount of power from a more powerful amp.Class AB amps and Class D amps have their greatest efficiency at or near full power.If you need 100 watts, the most efficient way and the way that dissipates the least heat involves a 100 watt amp, not a 200 watt amp. Actually,...
I think that grocery store marketing drives some of this. More models justify more space on dealer's shelves equals more visibility.The real differences among AVR models within a given manufacturer's product line can be slight. Electronics manufacturing has a large amount of inherent flexibility. The same production line can produce many different models.
No problem with the idea that having quality amps are important, but I'd like to hear what ATI's do that competent but far less expensive amps can't do.The best amp I ever had was a Pass SA4e:Not high end enough? ;-)
There seems to be more wisdom in this area related to http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2
An EP4000 can easiily power two sub enclosures. How much power you need depends on speaker efficiency, listening distance, and preferences for loudness. If you take the common approach of trying to get an amp that will fully exploit the drivers, you are looking for amps in the 800-1600 watt (4 ohms) rms range.IMO, no. IMO 2 subs are a great opportunity to get improved eveness of distribution of bass in the room, and it is ideal to front end each sub with a parametric...
I don't think that is a man-on-the-street opinion. It's an audiophile myth that has been used for decades to stuff expensive amps they don't need or use down poorly-informed audiophile throats.
Agreed. I think that the history of audio will characterize what we currently call high end audio as a boomer affectation, and say that it was diminished to a tiny niche by high quality portable audio as a standard feature of ubiquitous digital appliances, a role that is currently filled by smartphones.