or Connect

Posts by arnyk

Why is it that bias controlled listening tests fail to find audible differences between AVRs and high end audio amps? Have you ever done a bias controlled listening test?
No, I'm saying that whether you've noticed or not, cars aren't audio amplifiers and vice versa.
How do you know that you need a power amp? Not a rhetorical question, as there are good answers to this question...
Given that bench tests with resistive loads systematically understate the ability of power amps and AVRs to deliver power to real world power to speakers with recordings of music and drama, I'm prone to agree. Even more irrelevant are All Channels Driven (ACD) tests.In another thread I showed you that to be wrong, but I guess facts don't matter to some people.To some degree that is understandable because there are thosands of different speakers in actual use, and they...
Depends whether you base your opinions on measurements or conventional audiophile listening tests, or science-based listening tests.It is axiomatic that everything measures different, even each of the two channels of a high end power amp. I wrote that in another thread just lately and somebody posted a inspection test sheet that came with a very expensive, highly regarded high end power amp. The L & R channels were clearly different! The lesson is that measurable...
Hmm you must be talking about brick and mortar stores like Best Buy. They tell me that if you leave the CD/DVD/BD section of a BB and walk to the back of the store they have what they alleged to be audio gear back there! Is that really true? I could never get past the Monster Cable displays... ;-)
Please note that once upon a time namely the days of vinyl and tubes, true silences between notes and even musical selections were rare to non-existent.True deep black silence is one of the two things I noticed first when auditioning digital recordings before CDs became endemic or even available at all. The other was the absence of audible jitter, errr flutter and wow.A lot of the lingo of audiophilia traces back to the days of vinyl, and we have some of the same reviewer...
The differences among speakers are relatively huge and unmistakable in DBTs. If one is used to ABXing DACs or amps, the difference is shocking. The same speaker in a slightly different location or with a slightly different orientation is IME easy to differentiate in an ABX test. Different speakers stick out like sore thumbs. Note that Harman talks a lot about blind speaker preference tests, and not at all about ABX tests of speakers. That's because if you do ABX tests...
The limit to the SNR of the music you listen to is far more likely to be the lossy compression involved than the DACs in even a cheap BD player. The essence of lossy compression is replacing music with noise. I don't know of any web source that is streaming lossless files, do you?There's no doubt that Oppo uses some of the best DACs in the business but its all about numbers and nothing about sound quality that is perceivable in the listening room with commercial sources...
I agree with many of the other points that you made.However there is a technical point to here, which is that a given amount of power delivered by a lower powered amp will dissipate less heat than the same amount of power from a more powerful amp.Class AB amps and Class D amps have their greatest efficiency at or near full power.If you need 100 watts, the most efficient way and the way that dissipates the least heat involves a 100 watt amp, not a 200 watt amp. Actually,...