or Connect

Posts by Michael Segal

Thanks for the pictures T. Your set-up looks great. Are you using a curved screen? Mike S.
Hi T.Wells. Thanks for the information. How bright is your image (ft-L if you are able to measure would be appreciated). I am glad to hear it is working well for you, which is another check in the A/T camp. I have heard similar statement from Runco about 1080P not being that much of a change compared to a 720P (especially three chip design). I can see that a 1080P native signal gets degraded to about 700-800 pixels after one chops the top and the bottom off (my math is...
My reference to "idling" would be appropriate for a projector like the Projection Designs Optix which has twin bulbs and can be used at the same time to increase brightness or alternately to increase longevity between bulb changes and dimming. I agree with your statement that the bulb output is constant and the only thing a user can do is reduce the light output via brightness setting, iris f-stop or other end-user control. I was referring to screen brightness and getting...
Thanks you for "running the numbers". Sorry I could not read the full version. I am not someone to push something to the edge. I would much rather have a projector idling along on a small picture rather than one blazing the bulb on a larger screen. I would like a little headroom on the projector. I still see there are limitations on a full size screen. I have considered stacking projectors but this lends its own distortion especially if one is trying to accommodate an...
I have been looking at the "big rig" projectors but I am finding myself with champagne taste and a beer budget. I know it is improssible for someone else to say what I should buy since people have differing priorities. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. If there is anything else I should consider please let me know. I am still dreaming of the wall-wall screen but I am finding it difficult to make happen.
Thank you for the heads up. Could you please elaborate on this mis-information, it would be most helpful for clarification. My budget is $20-30K. My screen size is 120-130" diagonal 2.40:1. I am not sure how to make an A/T system with a 10+' wide screen work on my budget. I may be very wrong and would greatly appreciate direction. I am interested in the quality of the picture. I know that obtaining a picture like my Pioneer plasma is not realistic but I do need a...
Thanks for the information Steve. I will start reading this forum. I kind of passed on it as I was more seduced by the projector forum. Mike S.
Sorry in advance for the rather long question. I am currently running a Marantz VP12S2 on an 84 inch Stewart FireHawk screen. I acquired this set-up in 03/04 after spending many hours on this very web site. The long in tooth combination was fully satisfying until I added a BD player and now suffer through the black bars. I also find the picture quality much inferior to my Elite KURO 60inch display which I use in my family room. Finally, the lack of an HDMI input on the...
Sorry for your troubles. I am not sure if the Marantz projectors are any more sensitive than any other projectors. I have a VP12S2. I traded in my Anthem for a McIntosh Pre/Pro. The projector distorts the image from the Mc when using the on-screen menus. I spoke with tech support at McIntosh. They indicated the Marantz projector and the character generator in the Pre/Pro are not compatible. I use a small LCD on top of my rack for set up. Hope this helps. Mike S.
I have been eagerly awaiting my pre-ordered Yamaha for about four months now. The HT has been a music only room for now. I have been told that the first shipment of DPX-1000's is spoken for (? from dealers or actual clients). This should be delivered in the second or third week of Feb. The second shipment should arrive in late Feb. or March. I would expect the Yamaha to go for very close to MSRP for some time until either supply exeeds demand, something better...