or Connect

Posts by ranger999

The only problem is there is no 4K broadcast standard, whereas we eventually got ATSC in the USA after all that COFDM vs 8VSB fuss. (I assume, as before, some broadcaster like Japan's NHK will pioneer some regional standard that may or may not ever get traction in the uS.) If there is no broadcast standard, 4K is just a movie-delivery format and will not get out of a niche. Without broadcast TV to produce volume to drive 4K equipment sales, I don't see prices coming down...
A classic game--I first played the Wii remake which exploited the motion controls very well. Played the game through twice (I think I picked up the "chicago typewriter" and infinite rocket partway through the second playthrough for a hilarious experience), and of course there are the added scenarios. Of all the games where you infiltrate dark cesspools of evil, complete with merchants who will bafflingly sell you advanced arsenals to use against their landlords (is the...
Actually, the original non-HDMI Xbox upscaled over VGA just fine. I had one for a long time and it was definitely syncing at 1080p, not 480p on my Sony A3000 LCOS. It is a misconception that the Xbox somehow gained more upscaling capability with HDMI. As others have pointed out in other threads in the past, DVDs that were not protected by CSS were not forbidden to be upscaled, and the xbox could output these at 720p just fine over component. It was NOT a hardware...
Quote: Originally Posted by barrelbelly And unlike their old HDDVD addon, the new XBox will be able to upscale DVD's to full 1080p just a Blu-Ray players. I don't understand the context of this statement. The Xbox upscales DVDs right now to 1080P over VGA and HDMI, and non-AACS protected content should be upscaled over component as wel. The HD-DVD does absolutely nothing for DVD playback; it is just a transport mechanism to get bits off the...
Read again, it seems to me they were referring to connecting the PS3 by Ethernet to a wireless N bridge, then using an 802.11n connection from the bridge to a wireless N router that is connected to the WAN uplink. The key word is "bridge" not "router". A bridge connects two networks at the physical/link-level; in this case it's clear from context the bridge is between 802.11 wireless and wired Ethernet.
This does NOT have Netflix--someone at slickdeals site called Magnavox to confirm--it's the 5130 model that does, and apparently magnavox has been getting calls all morning about this by people who noticed the manual & website specs say NOTHING about Netflix. Walmart's ad is wrong!
Good point, but the question remains why Microsoft felt compelled to do this, if the repairs could simply have been put onto the owner and the warranty left at one year. I suspect that the failure rate is higher than the 3-5% Microsoft claimed, as it would have been cheaper to let the xboxes fail and the owners sue, rather than take a $1 billion dollar charge. If less than one million consoles were anticipated to gain extra coverage over the lifetime of the xbox product...
Except that Microsoft took a $1.05 to $1.15 billion dollar charge against earnings and had to publically announce it, as a result of the widespread hardware failures. It was quite obvious at the time it was related to the RROD failures. Now granted, Microsoft extended the warranty to THREE years from one for this type of failure, thereby extending the time window for which they'd responsible for this repair. I suspect the alternative would have been successful class action...
Check out this one: http://forums.xbox.com/32046898/ShowPost.aspx Amazing he can't figure out what's wrong with his gamertag. Although on a tangential note: I did play against someone recently with the gamertag El Lider de la SS (Spanish for The Leader of the SS, which makes me think they're talking about the Nazi Schutzstaffel, and not the US federal agency the Secret Service.....). I guess Nazi references are OK if you're sly about it.
Don't forget to boycott Microsoft Windows, folks. You realize that when you buy Windows, ALL versions (except possibly Enterprise) are on the disk. It's just the license key that determines what you get. You can buy a new key online and then upgrade your copy without having to get "DLC" to upgrade your Windows. This feature is known as Windows Anytime Upgrade--look for it in Vista/7's Control Panel. Intuit's Quicken is another program that behaves similarly. Buy an...