or Connect

Posts by Tong Chia

I have a couple of HDHR-CCs and they are quite sensitive to dropouts. Here is what I use http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=222&model=TL-SG3210 The is a managed switch with a decent amount of packet buffers, I had no end of drop out issues with the unmanaged basic switches.
I was looking for a CC tuner about 2 months ago and ended up with a HDHR-CC as there were being sold for deep discounts during Black Friday. i also looked at the Ceton ETH6 and there were not many places selling it and hence not much in terms of a good price. I have more than one HDHR-CC and was also looking at Ceton as a change but looking at the Ceton thread it did not seem to me that the firmware has fully settled. The one thing I wanted to avoid was having to reboot...
Discrete amplifier stages are still around, most of the midrange Onkyo stuff like the Onkyo 805 is still discrete and these can be had for less than $500http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000OBJW1S/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=allThe Pioneer SX-1250 is a classic Japanese design from the Mid 70sSchematichttp://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/170431-pioneer-sx-1250-receiver-some-schematics.htmlIt shows the compromises and constraints of the semiconductor devices...
Could be either or both, the best way is to measure it and find out.The most basic measurement setup requires a 1kHz sinewave signal source, an ac voltmeter and a SPL meter such as the ones Radioshack sells.The sinewave signal source can be wav files or test tones from a cd played back from a PC or Smartphone/Tablet.Under normal conditions, a doubling in the input voltage will result in a doubling of the voltage at the amp's output and a 6dB increase in SPLKeep doubling...
I had my 11 year old HGS18 serviced by Velodyne about a month ago and the amp (the board in the metal cage) was replaced. If you are in the US, turnaround is 1-2 weeks and I found the cost to be very reasonable.I pulled it the plate amp and sent it in, symptoms of the failure you describe is similar to mine, loud thumps with a lot of cone movement.Velodyne's service department is excellent and quite friendly.The bulging caps is a symptom of the amp failing, check with...
The Bluray forum has a discussion of reference quality audio tracks, many of which is DTS-HDMA and 7.1If you are looking for material start therehttp://www.avsforum.com/t/1190265/new-audio-tier-threadFor a really comprehensive list go to bluray.com and search for "DTS-HD Master Audio" or "7.1" or both depending on what you are looking forEnter this into the audio searchboxThe search page is...
Did you extract the DTS core (aka regular DTS) track in addition to the DTS HDMA track?DTS HDMA is DTS core + the delta to restore lossless playback for it to work properly.
In the sound control applet, set the speakers to large, to test play a stereo signal into a minimum 2.1 setup, if bass management is enabled you should feel the sub vibrating. Use material where you are sure there is LF content below 80Hz, or playback a 80Hz or lower test tone. The AVR should be setup to treat the sub as LFE only, no bass management for this test. If the player is using WASAPI, it should not matter, the common ones like JRiver and Foobar leave the...
The attached image below shows how to check Control Panel->sound->playback->properties button Look for the sampling rates that are important for your desired playback. Intel should be OK but confirm using the method described here. Non HDMI alternatives to an AVR can get expensive for multichannel. Expect to spend $2K+ and upwards for a decent multichannel USB implementation such as the...
I am using virtualbox. The later 4.2.x releases have been very stable. I run my DVR and firewall/router 24x7 on 2 separate VMs plus 3 general purpose VM that get started up on an as needed basis. The VMs + their primary drives live on a 4 SSD array. The general storage array has 16 drives plus 6 SSD cache drives. At the moment Virtualbox is doing a good enough job, as I have no dropout problems with the DVR which records from multiple HDHomerun network tuners. The only...