or Connect

Posts by SteveHorn

Contamination - my thoughts exactly. My particular problem looks to be dust buildup over time one one of the internal whatevers in the light path. Since it is not color specific - it appears on each of the RGB test images - it has to be on some common optical elements. But of course, I have nothing to base this on, and don't recall what the internals of the block look like. (I do remember seeing pix and diagrams of it when the PJ first came out. Need to relocate that info...
$2479 for the part + $240 labor. The diagnostic fee, $65, is waived if I choose to repair it. I don't.
Checking on the price of the part (JVC no. PC0072002U9), the Mendtronix price ($2479, excl labor) was the cheapest (LOL) found. Some were over $5K. I had seen a post and thread on another HT forum where the poster got into his 950 to clean prisms, lenses, etc. Went beyond the glass heat shield in front of the bulb. It was a very good description of how to tackle it. Sadly, the pix he took and posted were no longer on the photo web site/server (photobucket or whatever). So...
Anyone know of a similar service operation in the states? I have a out-of-warranty (3 yr 7 months) 950 with a dark vertical shadow (4" wide on the right side of a 87" screen) that affects all colors equally. Obvious (to me) that its optical in nature. Have had it diagnosed by JVC Service (Mendtronix) who want to replace the optical block for $2800. I don't see me doing that. I'll a) live with it, b) let another service operation do a repair, or c) attempt a repair...
Your post reads like you're inclined toward a DIY route rather than a manufactured, or DIY frame with some form of commercial screen fabric. You may want to go that route if only to give you some time to finalize aspect ratio, size with respect to screen wall, room, view distance, screen gain, etc. Suggest you post a similar question, if you haven't already, in the DIY screen subforum. An inexpensive start though would be to purchase several yards of white polyester from a...
Not sure about this, although I could be wrong. My understanding is that Chris is the US manufacturer/distributor and rep for the S-E product line. Its non-DIY, intended primarily for custom installers.
Of course, it depends on the type of AT screen (perf or fabric) and to some extent the brand within that type. But my experience with the Seymour XD fabric as well as a lot of "testimony" on the Seymour forum tells me that you should not have a problem with your bass-heavy drivers provided that they are placed several (>~3") inches back from the fabric's back surface. (Airscape's false/screen wall suggestion is right on the mark.) I would not expect similar results from a...
It would be an interesting (AV) science experiment, both from the transparency test perspective as well as how to best apply a spray coating. I don't see the use of rattle cans as a way to get a uniform coating. Maybe get a auto body shop to do a professional spray job in a booth. But then, could the resulting fabric still be flexible enough to roll? As far as testing the result for its transparency properties, looks like you'd need a sample large enough (bigger than 2'...
No. But I strongly suspect that any coating on ANY AT screen (fabric or perf) will negatively impact the audio characteristics. I suppose one could be sprayed (but for what purpose?) if it were not being used as an AT screen.
This chatter about the SE Craftsman installer package is interesting, though its not clear to me whether its available directly only from SE or also thru Seymour-SE. Chris?