or Connect

Posts by csgo

Rambo, I really hate to address you directly, but I'm forced to... facts are facts. The UltimateTV service was announced on January 6, 2001 (cite www.ultimatetv.com/pr3.asp ) and the actual receivers hit the market in March 2001. The UltimateTV project was officially shut down in January 2002. From the June 27, 2003 issue of the Seattle Times written by Brier Dudley: "It's the company's largest staff reduction since it folded its Ultimate TV division in California...
I did get some more info: UltimateTV was originally develped by WebTV before Microsoft purchased WebTV. The unit was developed in 1996 and 1997, but not announced until June of 2000 and officially introduced in March of 2001. The UltimateTV group was never part of Microsoft other than ownership. It was always part of the WebTV group located in Mountain View, CA. The UltimateTV "project" only lasted about 9 months. The UltimateTV group was disbanded in January,...
I wish I could answer the original question... how many UTV customers are left. When DTV dismantled the UTV group in 2004 there were only about 5,000 UTV accounts left. I don't know how many UTV units were built, but we could still probably get a good idea if we compared serial numbers. It was never a popular unit so I'd say maybe 10,000 were built, but I could be way off. The UTV customer was more of a cutting edge group than the average DTV customer. If this...
Here's the message I got from a person that worked with the UTV developers years ago: "It's been a long time since anyone worked on the Ultimate project that I know of. As for DST I don't think any changes are required, but like I said it's been a long time. I don't know of any active or planned development on the project or even who would do it if a change was requested or required." -Joe
Quote: Originally Posted by theratpatrol Its interesting that they can keep current accounts active, but they can't turn on new receivers. Its obvious that the "signal" needed to keep the current accounts active is still in the stream, so I find it hard to believe that they can't turn new ones on. :confused: I actually got to talk to a person at DTV that knows about the UTV problem... he's in the same situation we're in. Here's what he told...
I currently use 3 DTV / Microsoft Ultimate TV PVR's and am interested in upgrading to the new DTV HR20 PVR (I'm not interested in the TiVo model). DTV can't give me a straight answer as to what dish I need for the HR20, and I won't let them do the install (they usually make a mess of things and won't run the cables the way I want them). First I'm told that I need the 3 LNB dish, but others tell me I need the new 5 LNB dish to get the local HD channels. I...
I've talked to DTV a couple of times about the new HR20 HD PVR. Seems like a good unit, but they want a lot of money for it. $399 for each PVR (I need three). Plus to receive the locals on HD I need to upgrade to the 5 LNB dish which is another $99. I don't know what it would take to run 9 receivers off that dish... can't find anyone at DTV that can give straight answers. -Joe
I used to have Vonage... at that time it didn't work with modems or FAX machines. This means the UTV can't call in to DTV. The result is that you can't order PPV. -Joe
Here's what I received via email about a month ago when I inquired about a new UTV sub for a friend: "Unfortunately the receiver you asked about is obsolete. My supervisor informed me that we are supporting existing Ultimate accounts, but we can not activate new Ultimate accounts. We strongly suggest that you contact us about upgrading your equipment."
I see nothing in the R15 that would make me want to change from UTV at this time. Perhaps it's because I don't know all the R15 features yet, but I'm hoping someone will come up with a good UTV v. R15 feature comparison list. My data is not in stone, but the two biggest features I see lacking on the R15 are picture in picture, and 30 second forward skip. Both are deal breakers for me. This really points out how good the UTV was for its day. Even today there's no...