or Connect

Posts by skriefal

Even worse, the local ABC channel sometimes has TWO logos on screen at the same time. This was true, for example, during last Saturday's Bond movie. There was an ABC bug in the lower right, and a KSTP-5 bug in the upper right. Double ugh! Just to stay on topic... yes, I have a Mits DVHS recorder. Now if only there was more decent HDTV content to record! The only thing that currently interests me is CSI, and the occasional movie.
Quote: Originally posted by kejar31 the other dvd player is ogle dvd player Actually, the other player that I was trying to remember is the VideoLAN (VLC) player. In addition to playing DVDs it can also play VCDS, and mpeg1/2 and Divx files. It apparently can also function as a streaming MPEG server, allowing content to be 'broadcast' to multiple clients over a network. Apparently LinDVD and PowerDVD for Linux have existed for some time now, but...
Quote: Originally posted by kejar31 the other dvd player is ogle dvd player Actually, the other player that I was trying to remember is the VideoLAN (VLC) player. In addition to playing DVDs it can also play VCDS, and mpeg1/2 and Divx files. It apparently can also function as a streaming MPEG server, allowing content to be 'broadcast' to multiple clients over a network. Apparently LinDVD and PowerDVD for Linux have existed for some time now, but...
You're probably thinking of VMWare or WINE. I doubt very much whether any Windows-based DVD player software would work under either of those; the hardware interaction between the player software and the drive (region coding & CSS key authentication) and also the hardware video overlay would likely quickly put an end to any such thoughts. As I mentioned earlier, Xine is a native Linux software package that is able to play back DVDs. However, the version (if any) of...
You're probably thinking of VMWare or WINE. I doubt very much whether any Windows-based DVD player software would work under either of those; the hardware interaction between the player software and the drive (region coding & CSS key authentication) and also the hardware video overlay would likely quickly put an end to any such thoughts. As I mentioned earlier, Xine is a native Linux software package that is able to play back DVDs. However, the version (if any) of...
Xine will play DVDs, although I really haven't experimented with it much other than to verify that it actually works. XFree86 already supports fully customizable timings that should work with any video card, and there's a somewhat primitive graphical interface called xvidtune that can be used to generate the timing information. I'm not aware of any tweaking tools as user friendly as Powerstrip. I'm not going to spend much timing on getting a Linux box set up as an...
Xine will play DVDs, although I really haven't experimented with it much other than to verify that it actually works. XFree86 already supports fully customizable timings that should work with any video card, and there's a somewhat primitive graphical interface called xvidtune that can be used to generate the timing information. I'm not aware of any tweaking tools as user friendly as Powerstrip. I'm not going to spend much timing on getting a Linux box set up as an...
My setup must be cursed. :( At least the workaround is reasonably quick and easy...
Has anyone else attempted to use the v1.55.0.1 driver with DVHS tape playback? I tried this earlier today to view a tape I'd made of last night's Bond movie from ABC, and the DVHS oddities that were present in v1.54 seem to have returned. As with v1.54, the tape playback would only work if I first played a small portion of a file from disk prior to switching into tape mode. With the non-beta v1.55, however, tape playback seemed to work correctly -- at least with the...
Quote: Have one Vinculum. It doesn't like bouncing off my walls; it needs direct line of sight. I also own one of the Airboards linked to by Vinculum. The IR signal certain doesn't bounce off my walls, either. The keyboard needs to be consciously aimed at the receiver box, as the IR beam emitted from the keyboard seems to be rather narrow. The keyboard does work well when it is aimed properly, and the integrated mouse/stick is decent enough for...