or Connect

Posts by rgs

Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera. I'll try to take a regular picture, scan it and post it. May be a few days, though. J-Channel or J-Strip is used to finish off the top edge of metal siding. It comes in metal or plastic. The metal is stronger and is what I used. I screwed two pieces of the wide edge to the ceiling about 9" apart to make a track into which I could slide a 9" wide board to which I had attached the projector. The board fits into the 5/8"...
I've bought a number of small $ items on Ebay, videos and DVDs with no problem. I've always relied on the feedback system before buying. A bit worrying to learn that it can be cracked.
How do they fake positive feetbacks?
Audible, Where did you get your screen. I'm interested in a Canadian supplier as I'm also in Canada. Regards, Richard
Here's another idea for a ceiling mount that's cheap and effective. I wanted a track arrangement so I could slide the X1 forward for watching VHS and back for DVD. We've found that the resolution on VHS is so poor that watching it on our standard screen 72" wide with projector 11 1/2' away was just too blurry. By moving the projector to just 8' away we got a smaller picture but a much sharper one for VHS tapes. I used two 4' pieces of J-channel normally used for...
Patrick, I'm holding the remote about 10' from the wall with the X1 at about 12' and it bounces the signals back with no problem. I'll try it a bit farther away. I work with PCs professionally, and though I haven't tried to make a HTPC yet, from what I can tell, a decent video card that will put out 1024x768, (you can check that trying to set the resolution to that on your computer monitor) a DVD drive and software, (the consensus seems to be TheaterTek) is all that...
Hi Patrick, Thanks for that information. It may be that the greater reflectivity of the Parkland allows you to set the brightness and contrast levels lower that I could with the white wall. I'll be interested in what you find when you try the higher settings. I wonder if higher settings will mean shorter bulb life? If so, that would be an argument for buying a screen. Also interesting to read your post, Jimmy. I wonder if it's possible to do something similar...
A question for Patrick. I notice you're using a Parkland screen. I wonder if you've done any comparison of the Parkland vs a plain white wall? Do you think it's worth it to get a sheet of Parkland. I've been very happy so far with the results on a matte white wall, but if it's noticeably better on the Parkland, I'll look into getting one. Richard
By the way, thanks for breaking this out under X1 Calibrations. Makes it much easier to follow. Perhaps Bob Williams on Infocus will have some comments to make on these settings. Richard
This is very interesting. I had been using much more conservative settings based on the article "Tune Up Your Television" on projectorcentral.com. Can't say I was totally satisfied with contrast and brightness just a few clicks off the defaults. I tried Patrick's settings while watching The Game. We had been using the sharpest setting up to then so I tried the standard. After a while at standard, we decided to go back to the sharpest. Three of the four of us voted for...