or Connect

Posts by FoLLgoTT

Yes, german/austrian engineers are a bit special. My wife could tell you stories, because I'm a Dipl.-Ing. (M.Eng.) myself! I love those tiny little bastards. It is so easy to reconfigure all the subwoofer connections. No screwing and no soldering necessary. Btw, my main speakers are connected with the big 8-pole speakON connectors. Together with a multicore cable it feels really big, heavy and solid. No comparison to those cumbersome banana plugs...
I don't know if two projectors can be aligned that precisely.But I found out that Barco and Christie can do an optical edge blending by inserting a gradient filter in the light path. As described here. That filter removes black level offset and light spill, too. And leaves the contrast ratio intact.Maybe one could modify a consumer projector with such a gradient filter. But I guess this may never work perfectly...
I'm sure that listering to the front speakers without angle is the worst case. And a smooth curvature is much harder to build. Of course I would prefer it if I were able to build it.
Yes. It is just a scaling to more drivers. Even one driver at 1/2 works up to a certain frequency.To the construction of the angle: I have multiple parts. Two big subwoofers with 6 drivers and two subwoofers with 3 drivers. The columns with 3 drivers are placed in that way that the gap could be closed with the main speakers and with boards. I screwed everything directly into the subwoofer enclosures. The space behind the columns is empty to avoid mold. There is no secret...
The subwoofer enclosures are mounted on the wall.I chose the angle which let the speakers point to my reference seat. This was my only criterion.I investigated a bit toward possible reflections on the baffle wall, but I could not measure any significant effect. I used absorbers to cover the points of possible reflections. But my speakers have waveguides and thus a high directivity. Which means even if there were reflections on the baffle wall they would be attenuated.1/4...
Good point! I didn't consider that. Even if black level and light spill are identical this can not be corrected by a Geobox, because it is not part of the transition zone anymore.Yes, this may be a problem, too. With 3 projectors you can have the center of one panel in the middle of the screen. This could lessen the problem.Beside that not all projector types have these problems. Single-chip DLP systems are very uniform (but have bad contrast ratio and rainbow effect). And...
Not, if the blend zone shall be invisible.The problem is the fixed black level of digital projectors. In the blend zone black level doubles. This can not be avoided. To make this doubled black level invisible the rest of the picture has to be adjusted. That means the black level of the non-transition zone must be raised (doubled). The Geoboxes can adjust the offset of the non-transition zone independently. This is a feature graphics cards (Matrox, NVIDIA) lack as far as I...
Thank you! Since the birth of my daughter I don't have that much time anymore to finish the room. But I'm without theater for so long now that it doesn't hurry. A friend of mine saw blending of the Geoboxes at the ISE in Amsterdam and he told me that the blend zone was only visible if you know what to look for. But at a fair there is always to much ambient light to do a judgement.I didn't know. But this explains why JVC released only upgrades of their old projectors. I saw...
I have the same problem as the thread starter. I built a 158" wide curved screen made of a Center Stage XD in 2.35:1. I'm considering of doing an edge blend of 2-3 JVC projectors with the Geobox G-104. One G-104 costs about $700 and I would need one for each projector. 3D is not important for me right now and I know that blending halves contrast (->doubles black level). I own a single G-202 for doing warping on the curved screen. But I've never seen a curved edge blending...
Thanks for linking to my thread. Small correction: my design is a Single Bass Array in combination with a big absorber on the rear wall. This reduces the cost in comparison to a DBA. The absorber is described here.