or Connect

Posts by ken_atwell

The March 10th print edition of EE Times, page 2, has a short article on Sony’s Blu-Ray recorder. It should appear at www.eet.com at some point, but I could not find it there today. Nothing really in there that hasn’t been discussed elsewhere, but it does confirm that copy protection issues abound with this unit: “Unresolved copy-protection issues will prevent the system from recording high-definition movies or sporting events. Instead, the until will be equipped...
Here is a good thread to start with, which covers creating custom resolutions with Quake III-based games (among other things). I've used this to great effect. Wide screen support for games other than Unreal and Quake III
This could be a lot of things. To consider: 1) You say the receiver enters DD mode. When the audio is stuttering, does the DD indicator on your receiver remain solid or does it flicker (like its loosing the signal)? If so, try a different interconnect cable. If the problem persists, I'd look at your PC. 2) If the indicator is solid, try to reproduce the problem with another component that emits DD (like a stand-alone DVD player or X-Box). Does it exhibit the same...
I have the same setup you have. Here is what I did. It is entirely possible that all of this is not required or can be streamlined. I set this up last summer, so the software versions I refer to are likely out-of-date. I'm the type who, once I have something working, like to keep their system as static as possible. I am currently using Windows 98 2nd Ed. I plan on moving to XP some day, but right now everything works, so I'm not pushing it. 8) I'm not quite sure...
I have a JVC G-15 D-ILA (which supports 720p and 1080i), and I switch the DISH 6000 between 720p or 1080i, depending on the programming (720p for progressive scan ABC/FOX, 1080i otherwise). The projector auto-switches when I change the STB's setting. I tried leaving the STB on 720p, but I found the playback stuttered occasionally when watching (converted) 1080i material. It was especially noticeable during some of the smoother pans on the demo channel, like the...
I saw the grey oval as well. In fact, I went up the the screen to make sure it wasn't a smudge on my screen that I'd just noticed. I never noticed this on the LaserDisc (or anywhere else) before. I first noticed it in a Tanis Dig conversation between the Germans and Belloq (I believe when Belloq tells them "archeology is not an exact science"). I believe it was also there briefly a few moments later as Indy ascended the hill that was the Wells of Souls. This is...
Here were the edits I noticed: * Two violent shots we shortened from the bar shootout (a goon get hit in the face by a shot, blood dribbling down the chin of goon shot from behind by Marion) * “Goddamn partner†replaced with “new damn†partner or some such * Indy uses the “S word†when Katanga informs him of the Nazi’s arrival. This was relooped, I believe with “Jesus Christâ€. Quality from the Boston broad cast was excellent and in 5.1. A couple of...
Does anyone happen to know if "Raiders of the Lost Ark" will be presented in its original aspect ratio (Panavision 2.35:1). This is one of my favorites of anamorphic cinema, I sure hope it is not panned 'n' scanned down to 16:9.
Quote: Originally posted by Hot I have had many computers. I started with a 286, then 386, then 486, Pentium Pro, Pentium II and now a Pentium 4. I had ISA slots, EISA slots and now PCI slots. Each time I had to upgrade my equipment. I see a big difference between upgrading computers and the copy protection issues we are dealing with here. You upgrade your computer because it become technologically obsolete and cannot run the latest and greatest...
There has been lots of discussion surround HDCP and the huge (negative) impact that this may have on the majority of current owners of HD equipment that have “only†analog HD inputs and outputs. The basic rule seems to be that any analog signal must be image constrained to 900x540 (or there about) if the content is protected. By protected content, this means premium programming and prerecorded material (which, frankly, is about all I care about!), the focus of this...