or Connect

Posts by TomHuffman

I just used the Lumagen's own controls. No. The CMS in the Elites is worse than useless. Don't use them. It will actually degrade the image.I don't know. I could try that.
I can't speak to the 600, but I can verify that this is the case for the 1000 and it doesn't even have a CMS. Just put it into the right Picture preset, calibrate the grayscale, and the color is nearly perfect without any further adjustment. I think it is one of the reasons--beyond the 4K resolution--why this projector looks so great. It throws the best image I have ever seen.
I know. I think what is going on is that some folks had an experience similar to the one I describe above, and then they generalize and assume that it applies for all displays. It doesn't. Because I work in the industry, I get a chance to measure and calibrate a lot of displays and there is a wide variety of performance among them requiring a customized approach to each. Running a LUT certainly won't hurt and it may offer some other advantages, such as the ability to...
When to use an LUT Calibration I was interested in testing how much added advantage one receives by running a 729-point color calibration on the Lumagen vs. the 125-point. It's an important question. The 125-point is more widely available and it takes only a few minutes to run--8 minutes using a D3 and 5 minutes using a K-10. By way of comparison it takes 44 minutes/28 minutes to run a full 729-point calibration. I ended up testing something else entirely. I decided to...
How you get these is pretty much irrelevant. The only thing that's important is the result. You have this exactly backwards. You are elevating the method of adjustment over the results of that adjustment. On the the Sony 1000, the method for color correction is, well, doing nothing. On the VT60 and Zoyd's D8000 there is no LUT at all. The method is to use the display's internal CMS along with the best Picture preset and then just measure the results inside the color space...
You disagree with what, exactly? Post-calibration I measured the ColorChecker colors and a pri/sec saturation sweep inside the color space and the dEs were all below 1.0. You can't correct something that is accurate to begin with. If the color performance of a display is engineered well enough then getting the pri/sec colors, grayscale, and gamma right will result in great performance throughout the gamut. Now obviously a lot of displays are not well-engineered so this is...
I don't think it has anything to do with cost. It just depends on how well the display is engineered. The Panny plasma I mentioned costs a little over $2K. You'd be surprised how poor the correlation is between cost and performance among consumer displays.
1. No. Perfect white balance and gamma does not guarantee an accurate gamut. 2. No. Bad color decoding could screw up the secondaries even if the primaries are perfect.
Yea, I had about the same result with a VT60 last summer.http://www.avsforum.com/t/1174468/the-official-chromapure-thread/4600_100#post_23654807The point I made at the time was that some displays are so good after using the internal controls correctly that 3D LUT correction of any type simply isn't necessary. Obviously, other displays are worse and clearly benefit. The Sony 4K 1000 projector also has nearly flawless color in Reference mode and, unlike the Panasonic, it...
Sorry for confusing maximum with average. However, the point is the same. 1.2 dE is a very low color error for which I would generally not be too interested in attempting further correction. It would be nice if you could post dE data on the Movie mode post internal CMS for your D8000.