or Connect

Posts by TomHuffman

Sorry for confusing maximum with average. However, the point is the same. 1.2 dE is a very low color error for which I would generally not be too interested in attempting further correction. It would be nice if you could post dE data on the Movie mode post internal CMS for your D8000.
Of course, the D8000 also has a Movie mode whose gamut is MUCH more accurate than an average CIEDE2000 of 8.0.It is really interesting how this field has changed over the years. I got really interested in display calibration around the time the JVC RS1 was released. Everyone seemed to love it because of its high contrast. I hated the the thing because it had color errors in the 11-12 dE range and no CMS. It almost single-handedly provided a raison d'etre for the first...
That would, of course, be the easiest. However, it is not strictly required. You can manually type the xy values into the Reference Meter fields of the Meter Correction module and this will work fine. Of course, you must have some way to get readings from the reference meter outside of CP if you have no CP license for the device.
One thing that gets lost in these sorts of discussions is proportionality and diminishing returns. Has anyone done any semi-objective tests to determine how much additional benefit is gained as the number of calibration points increase? For example, it is uncontroversially true that a 5^3 matrix gives better results throughout the color space than a standard WRGBCYM color calibration. If a display requires LUT calibration (not all do), the difference between the two is...
I am aware of the controversy surrounding this issue, though I have not seen it myself. If real, it should show up in a skin tone ColorChecker.Using 75% A is a good idea in any case. Has anyone done a full LUT calibration on one of these--125 or 729 point?
To illustrate my previous point, here's the color performance after a standard calibration of my Pioneer Kuro plasma. This is a reference result. However, here's the results from the Adv. Color Management module. As you can see, inside the color space blue, yellow, and green all exhibit significant errors. This display needs an LUT calibration. Not all of them will.
BTW, Greg shared his report with me. It highlights one important fact that gets far too little attention. *********************Not all displays benefit from from a large LUT calibration.************************ Only those displays whose color performance shows significant errors inside the color space AFTER a standard calibration of the grayscale, gamma, and pri/sec. colors are candidates for this. Use the Advanced Color Management module to determine if your display...
I'm curious, what is the advantage--other than saving time by using fewer colors--to using a custom set of test patterns, such as this as opposed to a regular matrix? Also, once you decide to NOT use a matrix by what criteria are the colors defined? Maybe I missed it, but these colors seem random to me. How is this specific sequence "optimized"? Optimized relative to what criteria?
Yes and yes.Edit: Whether or not it is in cd/m2 is a user setting. It uses cd/m2 by default, but you can change it to ft-L in Options.
This is easy to determine yourself. I don't have access to this PJ right now. Under those conditions, do you get a stable and repeatable reading of black when measuring off the screen? If you do, then run auto-cal with BT.1886 without using override. If you don't, then use the override feature.