or Connect

Posts by MLM

You may have noticed that with the new firmware the YouTube application has changed. Among other things you can no longer use an external keyboard to print in the search function. I have been using a miniature wireless keyboard to do that and it was very convenient. I wrote to Oppo and the response was: "Unfortunately YouTube Leanback has switched from JAVA to HTML 5. This means that we have lost the ability to accept keyboard commands for the majority of keys. We have...
I never did use the supplied power cord. Simply used the Volex 17604 that I had on previous DAC. It's a pretty good cord. But then replaced it with Supra Lorad 13 AWG, another relatively inexpensive cord. Result was a bit less grit and a bit more shine on acoustic instruments. Perhaps a bit more bass.Len
Thanks, as always, for the advice. Doing it myself it's a very inexpensive mod. As for the change, I'll let you know if I do it.Len
I wonder whether some one can identify the plastic connector that carries the power directly from the IEC to the circuit board. The simple (and reversible) mod that is being sold on eBay looks like an easy one to duplicate a lot less expensively if the part can be identified. Thanks in advance if you know what it is. Len eBay mod:...
The Oppo needs about 200-300 hours of play to break in. Put some music on a zip drive and have it play continuously 24/7. You'll be quite surprised.Len
I have compared it to the DAC I had for several years, the Lavry Black, an already excellent unit that gave many years of pleasure. In detail, space, soundstage, transients, dynamics and bass response the Oppo is a clear winner. I am impressed with how notes begin on the Oppo. It is extremely competitive in important respects with vinyl and this concert-goer finds that it brings me closer to the real thing than I have before experienced with digital.Some people have...
Just writing to answer a question I raised myself some time ago. I recently got some relatively inexpensive "audiophile" European made bulk power cord and Chinese Oyaide knock-off terminations to replace the Volex cord I had been using. After some break-in everything improved just a little bit. Smoother highs, a bit more slam in the bass, a bit more focus, and small additional depth in that some instruments come a bit further forward. I use just two channels. No, I did...
Perhaps someone can help me with the iPad app. My iPad is using iOS 6.3.1 There seem to be two pages on the app. One page has the remote control in 3 sections (H) or as one remote (V). As a remote it works perfectly, just like the remote. On this page in the upper right corner there's a white x in a small circular blue field. Pressing there gives me another page that seems not to do anything. Most of this page is blank. At the top of this page it says "No Media...
This "jaundiced" correspondent would gladly have bowed out of this thread much earlier, but for the inconsistencies. First, what Kal wrote about the sound of the Oppo 105 (as opposed to its bells and whistles) hardly constituted a "review", not even a "not formal" review. But then there were no formal Stereophile reviews of multi-channel devices; then it turned out there were--of their stereo functions. Then there is nothing preventing a full review of the Oppo as a...
Actually, that's not exactly correct, and the policy therefore is not exactly neutral.The Luxman is a multichannel analog out unit. The Ayre is an HDMI out multichannel unit.But that's not even the point. As everyone around here knows, whatever else the Oppo may do it is used by many as a two channel unit and promoted by Oppo as specially designed and especially effective as a two channel unit featuring "Dedicated Stereo Output with XLR Balanced Connectors". It has been...