or Connect

Posts by HoustonHoyaFan

The definition of dynamic gamma is: dynamically varying the 'gamma' (electro-optical conversion function, EOCF). Panasonic in fact does that. Sony and the Dynamic Black implementations do not. In layman's terms, dynamic gamma works in the non-linear perceptual space while the Sony and DynamicBlack works in linear light space (after application of the EOCF).You are a stickler for precise 'scientific' definitions so I will hold you to it. We agree that all the DI...
Sony's has been producing DIs since 2005 (Ruby) and have been considered the best overall since that time. See gregr's review of the Ruby, Pearl, and Black Pearl. gregr was also the reviewer who identified and coined the term 'brightness compression'.Sony was also the first and only lens DI until the JVC The JVC is the second, all the others including the Planar are lamp DIs. The Sony and now JVC get the benefit of much larger static CR increase as the lens iris...
The Sony DIs which have long been considered the best implementation also don't use 'dynamic gamma'.Every DI implementation needs to vary the luminance output as the iris closes in order to maintain proper CR, most don't do it by varying the gamma curve. Panasonic coined the term dynamic gamma for their implementation and unfortunately like Xerox used to be for copy machines that term is erroneously used for all DI implementations.
What does that tell us other than some DI's can change gamma measurements?
Even without a Dl, almost all projectors do the same thing and have been for years. Marantz was the poster child for this.
What problem are you trying to solve? Why do you believe it is possible or even desirable to equalize brightness at all levels for different projectors, especially ones with very different performance characteristics?FYI, DI algorithms do not 'screw up gamma', they may screw up your attempted gamma measurements. There is a big difference.
As testy as this has been I believe we still got some very valuable information:1) Kris originally setup the VW600 on Auto Limited with a manual iris setting in order to brightness match with the JVC. We now know that this is a problem, using Auto limited with a manual iris setting causes pumping and compression artifacts.2) If you want the best contrast performance from the VW600 you must use Auto Full. Auto Limited lowers the CR compared to Auto Full, this was...
Could you point to posts where many have claimed that the Sony is dynamic and 3D because it is 14% brighter on an image.
Darin, I'm sorry but now you are just being absurd. JVC and Sony have always had very different processing models from the basic chip back plane all the way through their output software. Only a JVC or a Sony engineer could answer your question.The method used by Andreas21 and Dj Dee to brightness match the two projectors are quite reasonable and now that I have looked at Cine4Home's measurements would yield identical light output. The X500 measures ~1030 lumens in high...
In your original post your setup was "We used low lamp, manual iris all the way open and Auto 2 for the JVC and Low lamp, manual iris at about 62 and the limited dynamic black setting for the Sony" and was getting severe pumping and brightness compression. Have those issues gone away with your machine reset? If so, I will try those settings for my viewing.19FL for the JVC in high lamp and 28FL for the Sony in low?? Is that right?