or Connect

Posts by Boochie

Depending on the quality of the signal, SD feeds can have some other artifacts. I see the blur most on HD perhaps because the picture is so sharp to begin with, that it's easy to see something moving in the background gets blurry temporarily. There are probably ways to minimize it with the picture settings, but I haven't fully explored it. From what I've learned, plasmas don't suffer from this problem to the same degree as LCD TVs. However, they have issues of their...
1. Yes, any signal the TV receives will be converted to its native resolution of 1366x768 pixels. There are relatively few HDTVs out there that can display 1080 lines natively, if at all. 2. The DVI->HDMI option won't be all that expensive if you order the cable through monoprice.com. Check other threads on this forum, they come highly recommended. If your Mac Mini comes with the DVI/VGA adapter it won't cost you anything to try that out, if you have an old VGA cable...
One thing is for certain -- don't waste your money on a $100 HDMI cable from Monster or the like. Total waste of money. For the price of a cheap meal you can get an HDMI cable from monoprice that will do the job.
They'll probably just do it. When I switched to digital cable a few years back, the company I had at the time (then MediaOne) ran new cables to the house without me bringing it up. They'd already wired the neighborhood for digital services, but they were upgrading the final run from the lamppost to customers' homes only as needed.
Yeah, but people are willing to buy it! My next door neighbor dropped $150 for an HDMI cable, nearly 10x what I paid. His is 12ft long to the 6ft cable I bought, but still!
Another vote for Monoprice here. I went with the slightly more expensive HDMI cable that has the net jacket. It looked a bit more sturdy from the website pictures. I splurged for the slightly higher end one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style= Still under $20 shipped to my house, and the picture looks just fine. No sparkling artifacts or anything like that, which tells me that the digital signal is getting from cable box to TV just fine. Happy...
Actually the TV is 768 native (1366x768 resolution). Either way the TV has to do some scaling. With 1080i, it has to de-interlace and scale down to 768 lines. With 720p, it has to create an additional 48 rows and 166 columns of information. With my 32" XBR I find that setting my cable box to output at 1080i produces a better image. What you might try is to look at static menus and such from the DVD player at either resolution, and see which produces a cleaner image.
I can't speak to your particular TV, but I just got an HDMI cable for my Sony LCD XBR. The PQ difference between it and the component cables I have been using is very subtle. HDMI is slightly sharper with slightly less ghosting of images (most apparent when looking at onscreen menus), but from a normal viewing distance with actual video content it's just about a wash. The HDMI cable was quite inexpensive (from monoprice), so I'll probably just keep it in anticipation of...
So I just added an HDMI cable to connect my Motorola DCT6412 DVR/cable box to my KDL-V32XBR1. Until now I'd been using component cables. I bought an inexpensive HDMI cable from Monoprice.com, based on the generally good reputation the company seems to have on this message board. The cable got here in just a couple of days with standard shipping, not bad at all! I haven't finished tweaking the picture yet (I need to run through the HDNet test patterns, which I've...
Just curious, what type of connection (component or HDMI) are you using for each? Quote: Originally Posted by kjohn I did try both and HDTV looks better on 1080i where as upconverting DVD 720p is I think Ideal.